This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Some questions regarding F1!

Started by Tarantino, October 17, 2014 · 15 Replies · 642 Views

Tarantino

Hey guys! I bought F1 about 2 months ago, and so far it looks really good, it takes some time to fine the rythm with it, but it was definitely worth it, however I have some questions.

1. I can do about 10-12 super strict chinups, but I'm having a hard time with the hinge row, i just think it's strange as I consider chin and hangups to be superior.

2. I just started the cossack squat. I would consider my self a bit tall (1.86), and it just seem impossible for me to do it without having a lot wider stance than the guy in the video. Is that ok?

3. I notice that i often can do mastery in the strenght element, but lack some in the mobility work. Does that mean i just continue and move on to the next strength element, while working on the new mobility, and the old one I havent mastered completely?

Thanks guys!

Jeremy Huston

1. It's a different movement with different challenges that your body isn't used to yet.

 

2. Posting a video would be the best way to tell.  Your feet width should be proportional to your leg length.

 

3. Welcome to the club :)  You have to pass both the strength and the mobility to move on.  (It is OK and normal to have different exercises at different levels like your RC/PE1 and SLS/PE2.)

Jon Douglas

For #1, look at it as easy gains you left on the table while you developed chin up str the first time around. You'll be pleasantly surprised as you continue to fill in these little gaps :)

David Rioux

 Exercise selection is situational and individualized. A superior exercise is any exercise that exposes your deficiencies and addresses them. The hinge row at this moment is a superior exercise for you, the mere fact you show any difficulty with it at all is an indicator, you will develop addition stability and mobility which will transfer to better pull ups.

 I have achieved a pull up with +90lbs @ 158 bodyweight and still had difficulty achieving perfect form with this exercise. The hinge row develops good shoulder stability, I'm very fond of it.

Tarantino

Thanks for the answers guys! Yeah, I think i may have to move back a few blocks on a couple of the exercises. Will keep this updated thread updated with the progress!

Tarantino

Update: still stuck on hinge row, but I'm getting gloser to mastery.

Got a few more questions. It looks like i will finish a few parts of F1 way before other parts. When that happens, do I just buy F2 and continue or do i need to finish all of it to start the next foundation series?

Also, I'm going in for my military service in 6 months, is it ok to do some sets of pushups and hangups after my workouts? I was thinking 2-3 a week and only occasinally going to failure. Any thoughts?

Jeremy Huston

Yes go ahead and buy f2 when you're ready on one exercise.

Joshua Slocum
Tarantino said:

Update: still stuck on hinge row, but I'm getting gloser to mastery.

Got a few more questions. It looks like i will finish a few parts of F1 way before other parts. When that happens, do I just buy F2 and continue or do i need to finish all of it to start the next foundation series?

Also, I'm going in for my military service in 6 months, is it ok to do some sets of pushups and hangups after my workouts? I was thinking 2-3 a week and only occasinally going to failure. Any thoughts?

There's no strict delineation between F1 and F2 (or F3 or F4). Think of them as just one large course that comes in four different pieces. 

 

That said, if some of your elements are very far along (F3 or F4) while others are still in F1/F2, that's a sign you really need to focus on the lagging elements.

sean

I'm in the same boat...I can chin but WTH?! I can't do a bunch of hinged rows. I'm getting close to mastery myself, a bit frustrating, but I think I found a part of my weakness. Zach had mentioned to me to try some hanging work to help with a shoulder issue I was having not related to the hinged row. It helped my shoulder and I pleaseantly found out that at the same time my hinge rows went up. Can't explain it, unless it was my grip strength that was the weak link, but I'm not complaining. And loving the hanging therapy.....

Tarantino

Yeah, I know what you mean, but in my case i think it's actually the grip that's the biggest problem. I get an absolutely insane pump in my forearms. And that's the only place I break form and get tired, the rest seems fine.

sean

Yup know what you mean. Occasionally I've taken to doing ISO-holds in sit up position of the row to build on the positional strength. this too is a work in progress. When I can't hold it long it makes much more sense to me why I haven't mastered it yet.

Pafke

How to warm up for PE1 exercises ?

And also, which streches do you guys combine with Foundation ?

Thanks. :)

sean

I'm sure there are a million different takes on this but I use the PEs themselves as a warm up or may do brief jump rope session if feeling cold and tight before hand. I find at this point in the game the first set of a PE gets me warmed up for the rest. As I progress I use the previous PE as a warm up set. Stretching wise i mainly focus on the iMs for now with a combination of hip openers and hamstring stretches with hanging.

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Hi,

 

First I waned to say that I am really impressed with the programming and structuring. I have been doing bodyweight training for two years now and have already been doing L-Pull Ups, L-Dips, weighted SLS and so on what I considered to be somewhat intermediate strenght exercises but found some first exercises on this programe to be extremelly taxing and hard.

 

I have a question regarding start point. I know how to find out where to start. Currently I am able to do ABH for 36 s. But what I noticed is that during the last two sets my form decreases so much that my chest is slightly touching the ground. Would the solution be to go back to week 1 (which is really too easy for me now) or just stick with this and wait while form would increase?

 

And another question is how to deal with this situation: doing push ups on week 9 is okay but the next week, I couldn't even do 12 push ups for the last set and for the 2nd and 3rd set my tempo has broken drastically while raching for those 15 push ups.

 

Thank you!

Jeremy Huston
Vytautas Pilkauskas said:

Hi,

 

First I waned to say that I am really impressed with the programming and structuring. I have been doing bodyweight training for two years now and have already been doing L-Pull Ups, L-Dips, weighted SLS and so on what I considered to be somewhat intermediate strenght exercises but found some first exercises on this programe to be extremelly taxing and hard.

 

I have a question regarding start point. I know how to find out where to start. Currently I am able to do ABH for 36 s. But what I noticed is that during the last two sets my form decreases so much that my chest is slightly touching the ground. Would the solution be to go back to week 1 (which is really too easy for me now) or just stick with this and wait while form would increase?

 

And another question is how to deal with this situation: doing push ups on week 9 is okay but the next week, I couldn't even do 12 push ups for the last set and for the 2nd and 3rd set my tempo has broken drastically while raching for those 15 push ups.

 

Thank you!

It sounds like you have plenty of strength but lack endurance.  There are many threads on the forums for tackling these plateaus, so you'll find lots of advice if you search.  A solution that has worked for many people is to make smaller jumps than what the template says, so instead of adding 12s to the ABH, just add 6s.  Or instead of adding 3r to the pushups, just add 1r.  I respond well to following the template but adding longer rests, and then repeating the last microcycle with no rest.

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Yes, I have trained purely for strength, absolute 0 endurance work. My previous plan was 3-5 sets of 5 reps before moving to harder exercise. So this is quite a shock for my body I guess.
I have started my reaserch on topics of my interest, thank you for guidance. I might follow your track following the schedule but with longer rest times and then repeating the last microcycle with no rest times. Thank you!