This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Injury from dislocates...

Started by HamdiC, October 16, 2014 · 2 Replies · 254 Views

HamdiC

Hello all-

About 1.5 months ago, while doing HS/PE8 >iM (Prone undergrip dislocates with about 1.5kg) on my 4th rep on the last set I felt a kind of "pop" in the muscle of my right shoulder, and stopped the set. The pain continues afterwards for a few weeks. It's a pain that seems deep inside the lateral fibers of my right deltoid. I stopped doing any kind of dislocate work for a few weeks. Once the pain was gone I tried doing normal unweighted dislocates, however, whenever I do, the shoulder still hurts (I've only tried perhaps 3 times in the past 1.5 months). As it's been 1.5 months since I can't do any kind of dislocate work, and the pain is still there when I attempt the movement, what should I do? Just completely avoid any movement that causes pain? And/or is there some other kind of rehab/mobility work I can do to speed up recovery?

 

It sucks because I had a good long run of great dislocate work, got my normal standing ones up to 5kg of weight at mastery width, and standing undergrip dislocates with about 2kg at mastery width. Now... with an unweighted dowel and my hands all the way at the edge of the dowell I struggle to do a single rep (it seems I've lost ALL of my ROM in these movements in this short 1.5 month break). So... any advice on what to do would be most appreciated.

Jeremy Huston

See a medical professional

Mark Collins

It sounds like you have strained a muscle. Think of how an elite gymnast or athlete would approach this. Get medical help fast and that way you do not waste 6 weeks waiting and are not better. If you cannot afford medical help get a family member to do some massage on you.

I would also scale back and do the seated flexion exercises and shoulder extension exercises in a pain free range