I'm guessing a completely flat lower back is necessary for mastery in MN/PE3>iM? Just looked in a mirror on this exercise and noticed mine's a bit rounded...
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Slightly Rounded Lower Back--MN/PE3>iM
Started by NoHiddenCosts, October 16, 2014 · 4 Replies · 175 Views
You ultimately want to reach up as high as you can so that your lower back flattens at the top of the range of motion. However some rounding in lower back is fine.
Compare your form with the course video if you are unsure. Post a form check if you are still unsure despite looking over the course video. The course videos are there to show the overall body positioning throughout the full range of motion that Coach Sommer expects.
Thanks for your reply, Rayne-William! For clarification, when you say:
Rayne-William said:You ultimately want to reach up as high as you can so that your lower back flattens at the top of the range of motion.
What do you mean by "reach up"? Are you referring to the starting height of our hands in the lean? Does that mean we should not just start with our hands around waist level before we lean (like in the video)?
Ah, actually now rereading this, I think I may have been unclear. I am not speaking of MN/PE3 V-ups, but rather the iM Pike Lean. When I do the pike lean by grabbing onto a stable bar and leaning back, by lower back remains a bit rounded. I will post a picture at my next chance to demonstrate!
I thought you were talking about the V-Up.
For MN/PE3>iM you want your hands at about waist level and your lower back needs to be flat for mastery.
Here are the focus points for MN/PE3>iM
1) Press the hips back strongly into the stretch
2) Allow the lats to lengthen and relax into the stretch
As you relax into the stretch more you will feel your body sink down and your lower back flattens out.
Thank you! I'll keep working at it, then.