As title. When do you train? How often and with what structure?
Also what results have you had with other structures good and bad
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Alex Tansel, October 15, 2014 · 8 Replies · 427 Views
As title. When do you train? How often and with what structure?
Also what results have you had with other structures good and bad
I train first thing in the morning (after breakfast, I just can't train fasted and I don't think it's a good idea either). I do the 4 days a week schedule for F1+H1 on Tuesday and Thursday. That's all. I don't add anything else, apart from some stretching on my off days (nothing crazy though) because it will really affect my recovery, especially in places like my shoulders and wrists
I'm currently trying to combine H1/F1 with the leangains 16/8 method. I eat between 1pm and 9pm and I fast on the other 16 hours.
I train very first thing in the morning. Before each session I do a 15 min warmup and after each session I'm practicing freestyle handstand for about 10 minutes.
Would be interesting to hear if anyone is trying a similar approach and with what results.
I'm actually following the 3 days template, Mon, Wed and Fry + 2 HS days, tuesday and thursday. In the past I used for a long time the 4 days template, but nowadays with the bump on intensity due to more higher complex exercises I'm fine with 3 days of F1 + 2 HS. Slowly with time I've been realise that the less the better, at least for me.
I normally train in the afternoon, I've discovered I train better at that time. I used to train in the morning but definitely I'm not a morning person at all at least to train.
The thing is experimenting. I've been on F7, 5 days template, 4 days... and at the end I've discovered my special time frame both training template and hour in the day.
Maybe in the future I add another day of training and I'll change to 4 days again, but definitely not yet.
- F7 on Monday and Thursday
- H1 on Tuesday and Friday
- Flexibility - which will become Stretch One (S1) when it will be released - on Tuesday and Friday
- Bicep tendon conditioning on Wednesday and Saturday
- Active hang (shoulder blades down) everyday
I try to do something everyday, though of course the intensity varies.
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: Foundation training
Wed, Sat: Handstand training
Wed, Sat, Sun: Various skill training
As a martial artist, my skill training is mainly kicks, forms and weapon techniques, so it's active rest (though if I'm feeling fresh I'll through in some aerial elements as well).
Biggest change for me was separating my Handstand and Foundation workouts. It's more workouts a week, but each workout is shorter, which I think works best. Also, fatigue kept my balance off. My hand balancing (or I guess head balancing for now) has improved significantly since I made the switch. It also gives me more time to experiment and have fun, as opposed to collapsing in a heap when I'm done.
I used to do intermittent fasting (IF) and follow a 4 day F1 schedule. I didn't get too much progress with this so then tried a 3 day F1 schedule with 2 H1. Again I didn't make great progress with this either.
I then tried a 5 day F1 schedule and again didn't get much progress.
Note that although I say I haven't really progressed in any of the above templates, maybe I have and it's not easily visable such as improving my connective tissue.
I've now dropped IF and going for protein throughout the day and changed to F7 3 days a week and H1 2 days a week. I've only just completed my first cycle and for the first time when the deload week has hit I really felt like I needed a deload. Plus some other signs like increased resting heart rate and reduced heart rate variability.
Hopefully next week when I start the 2nd cycle I'll have improved some of my exercises.
If I have then it's just some more tweaking to find out if it was the volume or the IF that was hindering me before (or both).
After I changed from the 4F1/2HS1 to 3F1/3HS1, I had more progress in a a few elements, while for others is the same struggle, but in any case I feel more motivated for the trainings and I know that if I'm on a week of only 1 Fa or only 1 Fb, I push even more on that day and some times get a breakthrough. For HS1 it was better for me with 1 more training day to get past HS_PE3, and now to improve my dislocates on HS_PE5.
On handstand day I also stretch my hip flexors and practice my front splits and back bridge, to improve my overall flexibility and to help with my ABH....
On foundation days I also do some hanging, dead hang, active hang, german hang, and that has also helped my shoulders a lot after a few sessions.
not a big fan of the intermittent fasting when strength training. body needs help making anabolic gains. I even need to eat or drink while working out to optimize by gains and combat fatigue. I do F6 M, W, Th, Sat. Do SLS and DL friday and sunday. Handstand every day. Running or XC skiing tues, Wed, thur, sat, sun. tuesday is speedwork, wed is tempo work, sat/sun distance or racing. I usually drink a liter of water with a couple scoops BCAA's during strength work. eat carbs and protein after endurance work. try for 8 hours sleep per night. If i'm tired i'm not afraid to do a light workout with just handstand and a few exercises, and then make up the remainder the next day. If i'm on call for work i'll often miss a day altogether, so I end up working out usually 5 days per week, even though my template is mostly as above. It allows built in recovery days on the days my schedule dictates.