This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Dislocates and Korean dips

Started by thecolin, October 15, 2014 · 3 Replies · 172 Views

thecolin

I just thought I'd share an observation that I've had recently. That being that Korean dips are a perfect warm up for me before doing dislocates.

 

I've been struggling with a bit with underhand dislocates, and I've tried various approaches and warm ups. But working a set of Korean dips as warm up has had quite a dramatic effect. I'd say that I easily got an extra hand's width more narrow on both sides on over and under dislocates.

 

This is particularly noteworthy for my underhand dislocates which have been a bit stalled recently. Not only did I easily get a way more narrow grip than I ever have, but it completely removed all the discomfort I've had in my left arm.

 

This should of course be worked as a warm up only if you're already comfortable with Korean dips. But if you're feeling stuck, try giving this a shot.

DieKatze

what was/is the limiting factor to your undergrip dislocates? i guess for most people it should be wrist mobility?

strme

nice warm up for sure.  my observation in dislocates with 2,5kg is: if i use more weight +1kg for one or two sets than back to 2,5kg my dislocates get better. :)

thecolin
DieKatze said:

what was/is the limiting factor to your undergrip dislocates? i guess for most people it should be wrist mobility?

 

I'm still not exactly sure.

 

I'm not certain it's possible to really distinctly separate the roll of the wrists, arms and shoulders in these moves. In my experience though what appear to be wrist issues are problems with the shoulders in disguise. The shoulders don't move properly which causes the arms to rotate in odd ways and this can manifest itself down the line as a wrist issue. For example if your shoulders don't roll in enough on underhand dislocates, it can torque your wrists and cause you to loose your grip.

 

For example I found that the Korean dips hit my back below the shoulders and stretch out my biceps towards the top of my shoulder. But the discomfort in my left arm was in the forearm just below the elbow. They're not obviously connected, but the discomfort went away with this warm up.