This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/iM1 + SL/PE1 + MN/PE2 + HS/iM1 + MN/iM1

Started by manze, October 14, 2014 · 7 Replies · 165 Views

manze

Hi all!

 

Please critique my form on these exercises/deficiencies :) (this is not test for mastery, but looking for cues on improvement on these weaknesses of mine). The videos were done post-workout.

 

Swivel hips (sPL/iM1): I think my ROM is twice as good as when I started (one month ago)

sPL:iM1.mov

ABH (SL/PE1): How is my ROM? Strength is slowly building (on 4x24 atm - can just hold the ROM in the video for those sets)

SL:PE1.mov

Straddle-Up (MN/PE2)

MN:PE2.mov

Static Seated Shoulder Flexion (HS/iM1)

HS:iM1.mov

Stiff Legged Windmills (MN/iM1)

MN:iM1.mov

 

Also, if some insightful saint would suggest a post-workout stretch routine that targets my deficiencies as shown in the videos, I'd be insanely grateful. I've looked around the forums but I'm not sure which exercises to pick out for an effective routine. 

Duff

First of all, PSA: please post form videos on Youtube. You can select the 'unlisted' category and only people you share it with will see it. And it makes it easier for us(= more views and comments for you) to quickly view the video instead of waiting a minute for it to download.

 

sPL iM: Not bad. Shouldn't take you much longer to get it, I think.

 

SL: Straighten the legs and shoot another video. You want your quads to be actively straightening the leg.

 

MN: Also straighten the legs. Needs more compression, but I think you're the right track.

 

HS iM: Bit more flexion. The ribs are in, right?

 

Mn iM: You need more compression in the hip joint. If you stayed in the bottom position of your rep and straightened the upper back, you would be above parallel. And maybe use something heavier for the weight?

manze

Thanks a ton for the reply, Duff!

 

SL: I'll get another video up soon!

 

MN: I'm not sure I can straighten the legs in that position - that's the problem :D

 

HS iM: So the shoulders should be further back but without rotating?

 

MN iM: Okay - do you have ideas for specific stretches to enhance my hip joint flexibility?

 

Also, youtube videos coming up

KibboKift

It bears repeating that you mustn't move to the next progression until both the PE and its iM are mastered. Also, if there is a dumbell involved in the iM, assume you must master it with at least 5lb (about 2.5kg). Both of these points are particularly important for manna progressions, where your proficiency in the iM will have a direct impact on your ability to perform the next PE.

 

Specific points for windmills:

- Use a weight you feel comfortable with, but don't move on until you can do them with mastery weight.

- Keep your eyes on the weight and the supporting arm vertical at all times

- With the right foot pointing north and the feft pointing west, bend to the northwest (obviously you don't need a compass; it just makes it easier to explain relative directions)

- Rotate your right shoulder fully as you descend, then reverse the rotation as you ascend, as shown in the course video

- Keep your right leg vertical.

- Reach back through your legs with your left hand. Don't touch the floor.

- Reverse the above directions for the other side.

 

Deviating from the above will most likely lessen the effect on your hamstrings, which is the whole point of the exercise. It doesn't look like your ROM is far off in the straddle-ups, but mastering windmills will get it a lot closer.

manze
KibboKift said:

It bears repeating that you mustn't move to the next progression until both the PE and its iM are mastered. Also, if there is a dumbell involved in the iM, assume you must master it with at least 5lb (about 2.5kg). Both of these points are particularly important for manna progressions, where your proficiency in the iM will have a direct impact on your ability to perform the next PE.

 

Specific points for windmills:

- Use a weight you feel comfortable with, but don't move on until you can do them with mastery weight.

- Keep your eyes on the weight and the supporting arm vertical at all times

- With the right foot pointing north and the feft pointing west, bend to the northwest (obviously you don't need a compass; it just makes it easier to explain relative directions)

- Rotate your right shoulder fully as you descend, then reverse the rotation as you ascend, as shown in the course video

- Keep your right leg vertical.

- Reach back through your legs with your left hand. Don't touch the floor.

- Reverse the above directions for the other side.

 

Deviating from the above will most likely lessen the effect on your hamstrings, which is the whole point of the exercise. It doesn't look like your ROM is far off in the straddle-ups, but mastering windmills will get it a lot closer.

I don't know if this will be frowned upon - but I'm doing Tuck-ups (mastered) as well as Windmills as warm-up (as I know I still have work to do on these) while building few, quality reps on straddle ups.

manze
Duff said:

First of all, PSA: please post form videos on Youtube. You can select the 'unlisted' category and only people you share it with will see it. And it makes it easier for us(= more views and comments for you) to quickly view the video instead of waiting a minute for it to download.

 

sPL iM: Not bad. Shouldn't take you much longer to get it, I think.

 

SL: Straighten the legs and shoot another video. You want your quads to be actively straightening the leg.

 

MN: Also straighten the legs. Needs more compression, but I think you're the right track.

 

HS iM: Bit more flexion. The ribs are in, right?

 

Mn iM: You need more compression in the hip joint. If you stayed in the bottom position of your rep and straightened the upper back, you would be above parallel. And maybe use something heavier for the weight?

http://youtu.be/DIew4WyTZsk new SL/PE1 video

Duff
manze said:

I don't know if this will be frowned upon - but I'm doing Tuck-ups (mastered) as well as Windmills as warm-up (as I know I still have work to do on these) while building few, quality reps on straddle ups.

I think you would be better off going back and mastering windmills and adding some reps of Mn PE2 at the end of your workout. If you can't do windmills correctly, you don't have the necessary hamstring flexibility to do straddle ups anyway.

 

For ABH: yes, that's correct. Just get your arms closer to your ears and higher and you're good to go :).