This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Failed sets

Started by Joseph Morris, October 13, 2014 · 6 Replies · 208 Views

Joseph Morris

I'm almost positive I've seen a topic on this issue before but I can't find it now. I just started Week 9 of FL/PE2, and I got 48-48-36-36 reps. I can't remember how to pick up the lost reps -- is it just doing them in smaller sets (with the iM after each set) until the total day's work is done?

Alessandro Mainente

Not necessary, sign what is you current set x reps, then move to the following exercise. on the next training session you will check for new improvements.

Jeremy Huston

As Alex said, it's not necessary.  Adding those extra reps could be counterproductive since you've already gone to failure.

 

If you do want to add the lost reps, take a short break and complete the set.  Then do the IM.  Your workout would look like:

 

48r / IM

48r / IM

36r / 5s break / 12r / IM

36r / 5s break / 12r / IM

Joseph Morris

Got it, thanks for the replies. Before I saw them, I just did a set of 24r with iM after. Oops.

Shaolintobbe
alex87 said:

Not necessary, sign what is you current set x reps, then move to the following exercise. on the next training session you will check for new improvements.

If you cant´t do the prescribed reps/time, shouldn´t you go back to, in this case, 5x36r? Just curious.

 

 

Thank you.

Jeremy Huston

"Move to the following exercise" means to stop doing FL and move on to your prescribed exercises for SPL.  It doesn't mean to do 4x60r of FL.

 

If you were able to do 5x36r (180 total reps) in your previous workout, it doesn't make much sense to repeat that again.  You would want to do something a little more challenging to continue to progress.  You can do this by gradually getting closer to 4x48r (192 reps) even if you fail before you get the whole way.

 

I have been surprised at how big the jump from 5x36 to 4x48 feels.  It's only 12 reps more, but it seems to cross a threshold into endurance that really makes it tough.  I wonder if doing 4x36r plus a fifth set of 48r would be helpful -- it would get those same 192 reps but spread out over 5 sets.

Shaolintobbe
tex0413 said:

"Move to the following exercise" means to stop doing FL and move on to your prescribed exercises for SPL.  It doesn't mean to do 4x60r of FL.

 

If you were able to do 5x36r (180 total reps) in your previous workout, it doesn't make much sense to repeat that again.  You would want to do something a little more challenging to continue to progress.  You can do this by gradually getting closer to 4x48r (192 reps) even if you fail before you get the whole way.

 

I have been surprised at how big the jump from 5x36 to 4x48 feels.  It's only 12 reps more, but it seems to cross a threshold into endurance that really makes it tough.  I wonder if doing 4x36r plus a fifth set of 48r would be helpful -- it would get those same 192 reps but spread out over 5 sets.

Thank you tex0413 for clarifying, now I just start sweating a little thinking of the missed progress due to doing this wrong since the beginning.