How can I "improve" the feet's shape?(Video)

Started by HB_Ron, October 11, 2014 · 8 Replies · 3,563 Views

Blairbob

 Umm, practice pointing your toes A LOT. It starts with just basic stretches and making a habit of pointing your toes but like anything else it has to be trained (holding it for time).

If your point isn't very flat, you would do the sitting on your insteps drill (like the Seiza/sitting position in Japanese martial arts) except focusing on not allowing the heels to turn to the side under your butt. You can take some of the load off by supporting yourself with your arms.

 

 Then you focus on pointed toes in whatever you do. HS, Cartwheel, Rolls. 

And possibly basic ballet movements such as develope (knee up then foot/toe out) and leg swings with pointed toes.

Rayne-William

Previous Thread: Pointing your toes

 

Coach Sommer has a really good post in the above linked thread.

Cole Dano

Classical ballet has a number of good foot point exercises -

HB_Ron
Cole Dano said:

Classical ballet has a number of good foot point exercises -

Amazing guide, I love the recommendations she gives and I enjoyed watching the video.

 

Now I'm going to stick to it and it'll keep me busy for a while. 

 

Thanks guys ! :)

HB_Ron

Hey Cole I forgot to ask you if ballet shoes are really necessary for those exercises? (Until today, I used only the first 5 or 6 exercises in the beginning of the video)

Rayne-William

Pointe shoes are necessary if you intend to stand on the very tips of your toes. Otherwise keep doing the first six exercises.

 

Just for the sake of information, beginner ballet dancers don't get into pointe shoes until they have trained and strengthened their ankles, feet, and toes for at least two or three years.  Generally speaking male ballet dancers don't wear pointe shoes.

Cole Dano

Rayne-Wiliam got it, for guys the main thing with ballet 'slippers' is they have the right ratio of slip to grip. They generally have a soft suede like patch under the balls of the toes and heels.

 

There's no need to use them at all for drills like these, if you need more slip just wear socks, otherwise bare feet is fine.

 

Rather then coming all the way up on the toes, as shown , just think of these as standard calf raises, and roll up as high as you can on the balls of your toes.

 

Like Rayne-Wiliam pointed out, this is where all ballet dancers start anyway. Lots and lots of relevé work.

HB_Ron
Cole Dano said:

Rayne-Wiliam got it, for guys the main thing with ballet 'slippers' is they have the right ratio of slip to grip. They generally have a soft suede like patch under the balls of the toes and heels.

 

There's no need to use them at all for drills like these, if you need more slip just wear socks, otherwise bare feet is fine.

 

Rather then coming all the way up on the toes, as shown , just think of these as standard calf raises, and roll up as high as you can on the balls of your toes.

 

Like Rayne-Wiliam pointed out, this is where all ballet dancers start anyway. Lots and lots of relevé work.

Great advice!

I have no idea how much time it'll take to get that pointe shape. I'll start doing the advanced drills when I feel ready. And until then I'm going to build the strength up step by step in the areas Rayne mentioned. B-)