Just wondering, in pressing movements, should there be a full elbow lockout or will that be too taxing to your joint overtime?
Lockout?
Started by tennissports, October 9, 2014 · 5 Replies · 2,139 Views
Full lockout.
just a small little thing that I'm not sure is important or not, is it necessary to externally rotate in the lockout in pressing movements (pushups are a simple example), instead of just locking out the joint, I hear it's supposed to help brachialis development or something for ring dips, I'm not sure if that can be outsourced to the rest of the pressing movements. I've noticed that if I do that external rotation lockout, on a static surface, my elbows don't like it very much.
by not like, I mean, pain in my left elbow when locking out in any pressing movement of any intensity, it's literally there if I just stick my arm straight out and push a lockout, that's why I asked the question in the first place, was to see if I should actually be locking out.
Yes, go for full lock and turn out. For static movements like planche lean this helps with lat activation as well.
If you're experiencing pain, scale down the intensity and work back up without pain. On top of regular wrist and shoulder mobility, you should strengthen and condition your wrists and forearms in all directions.
The rotation is mandatory when in ring support of any sort. In front supports like floor planche it can assist a lot, but some people already have that activation and don't seem to need that cue. Lockout is always mandatory-- no point making the .muscles strong if the joints are a time bomb ![]()