This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Morning Session

Started by setepe, October 9, 2014 · 4 Replies · 292 Views

setepe

Hi all,

 

Just looking for some insight into what other people do for their morning session.

 

Doing F7/H1 on a morning makes sense to me as it leaves the evening free to do other things.  The problem for me is that I have injured myself recently on a morning session and I'd guess that this was partially due to not having warmed up enough.

 

My morning session has basically been to get out of bed and pretty much straight into it with no warm up other than doing some of the elements already mastered.

 

What does everyone else do?  Additional warn ups, shower, eat some food etc?

 

Thanks for your input.

 

Martyn

Unbending

I'm still a beginner in GST, so my answer won't be as specific for the GST. But, since there's no answer yet...

 

Ideally you should do some of the previous PEs as a warm up, as suggested by the course. But, I'm not that high of level yet. So, I just do generic warm up.

 

I always do my exercise in the morning, fasted at 4:30 upon waking up.

 

My morning ritual:

- Bathroom break & cold shower.

- Some yoga poses to warm up.

- More warm ups: shoulder dislocates (unweighted), internal & external rotations (for rotator cuff), and hi-rep face-pulls.

- 1 heavy weight lifting workout 5x5 (alternating the big 4)
- Alternating between [F1A + H1] AND [F1B + short plyo]
- Some weight lifting assistance works (8-12 reps range)
- 20m meditation
- I may or may not take another shower afterward before going to work. I don't eat anything until my breakfast at 13:00.
 
I don't believe you need to eat anything before workout but it's important to warm up properly, esp in the morning or when the body is cold. I had a shoulder injury few years ago from doing dips immediately without warming up. So, now I always make sure to do a good amount of warming up first before any workout. 
MT Nordic

Don't demonize the morning workout, demonize the lack of warmup. It doesn't have to be long.  in 5 minutes you can do a minute of jump roping to get the blood flowing, a quick wrist sequence from H1, a quick shoulder routine from R1, and be into your workout.  I like to always start workout after warmup with H1 which takes about 10-15 minutes and doesn't leave me tired.  Then into F6 (I do legs on separate day and combine it with deadlifting).  You'll be much less likely to injure yourself with a proper warmup.  Your body will thank you as you get older.  I used to never warmup, but as i've gotten into my 40's I found it a very good injury preventive.  I finish with some focused mobility on my trouble spots or limiting areas.  Rest of the day is free.  PM is for running and ski training.

strme

 MTnordic, exactly

 

from bed to glass of water, from water to jumping rope. and than my favorite ´one and only´ super personal custom warm up. from neck to ankles in 10minutes. light stretching included.

setepe

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm not demonising the morning workout and totally agree getting an injury is due to lack of warmup.

Personally I find the morning session to be a much better time to train, the time limit imposed by having to go to work makes me focus and my training is more intense as a result. When I train after work and I can definitely get distracted a lot easier.