This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Discussing an extra SLS exercise

Started by Bro', October 8, 2014 · 4 Replies · 279 Views

Bro'

Hi guys,

 

I remember a good idea from fellow members (can't remember the names!) concerning SLS progressions. It was about an additional SE once SE5 is mastered. The idea was to mix SE3 and SE5, so you'd have a 10 second negative, and then you'd push back up on the same leg. I remember SE3 feeling very good on the knees and developing good strength and endurance, so I figured I'd do that at some point.

 

Now my question was, when would you do that? Is it the kind of intensity/volume you'd want after mastering the FLS progressions or can you do that right after SE5? I assumed that since this is stuff we would have mastered by that point, it would be okay to do that before the FLS progressions. Also, I don't have many weights available at the moment so it would be something nice to work towards in the meantime (although I just passed SE4, so I might have fixed that problem by the time I master the SE5 pair).

 

Anyway, any feedback is appreciated.  :)

Alan Tseng

Imagine 10 second descent, 10 second hold at bottom, then pushing back up for 1 rep

Jon Douglas

Personally I don't like over- emphasising negatives once a reasonable amount of concentric strength is achieved. I'd be more inclined towards a controlled.negative and a jump out of the sls, but YMMV :(

MT Nordic

I agree with Jon.  Add plyo/power, or add weight.  If you want hypertrophy, a long negative and hold may be beneficial, but for most of us that's not what we're after.  We're after max strength.

Bro'

Mmmh, I guess I see your points. As I said, I have to test for SE5 anyway, and I'm pretty sure the mobility will hold me back for a while, so I'll have time to sort out weights for the FLS exercises. I will most likely still play around with the idea at some point.  :)

 

Thanks for the input!