This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

APT

Started by Edoardo Cagnola, October 8, 2014 · 4 Replies · 211 Views

Edoardo Cagnola

Working on my flexibility for MN/PE2 I've noticed that when in sit in a straddle (mine is a little bit wider than 90 degrees) I can't go down towards a pancake with an APT. Actually I can't even sit upright with my legs spread apart or my leg straight in front of me with my lower back flat. I thought this was caused by a restricted hamstring flexibility, but it is actually not that bad (I can put the palm of my hands on the floor when in a standing pike position). Any input on this would be really helpful :)

Jeremy Huston

The hamstring is more than one muscle.  It's possible that you have great hamstring flexibility in pike (outer hamstrings) but poor hamstring flexibility in straddle (inner hamstrings).

KibboKift

Most likely it is your hamstrings. Being able to put your palms on the floor doesn't prove that your hamstrings aren't tight; it's quite possible that your body proportions are advantageous or that you are compensating by flexing your lower back a lot. Being able to sit upright with straight legs is a milestone, which I'm sure you'll achieve if you keep working on your hamstring flexibilty.

 

I notice you are on Mn PE2 now. With the level of flexibilty you describe, there is no way you will be able to manage enough compression to do this correctly. In my experience you'd be better going back a step. Windmills, done properly, will help your hamstring flexibility tremendously. I know it's difficult to tell from the video exactly how much ROM is required to master windmills, but it seems you may have moved on prematurely. Don't feel you're wasting your time on tuck-ups either. If you do them slowly, and focus on squeezing your hip flexors as hard as you can at the top of each rep, I think you'll be surprised at how much strength you build. It's much easier to build strength at this extremity of your ROM when your legs are bent, since you don't have to fight your tight hamstrings.

 

I'm in the same boat as you, and as well as the above I've found working Jefferson Curls concurrently has helped too. Just a final thought: Have you tried sitting with your legs straight and lower back flat against a wall? If you can do this, it may just be that you lack active flexibilty in your hips (ie lack of strength at that point in your ROM). The medicine for this though is more or less the same.

Edoardo Cagnola

Thanks for the inputs! For the record I'm on MN/PE2 but windmills are a stable part of my warmup,as well as tuck-ups, for all the reason that you quoted. When I sit against a wall I feel like I'm almost upright but there is still some rounding in the lower lombar area. With that being said, I can, while standing, bend to 90 degrees without any rounding ( don't know if this is an helpful information).

Also, you've mentioned body proportions: I'm 6'4 tall with a short torso and really long limbs, so i think my body shape is not helping..

Keilani Gutierrez
EdStand said:

Also, you've mentioned body proportions: I'm 6'4 tall with a short torso and really long limbs, so i think my body shape is not helping..

no, it's just harder to hide behind bad form. :) i'm in your same boat, not being able to sit with my back straight. it's come a looooooong way tho ~ 

 

keep on goin' :)