This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Science catching up with Foundation Series

Started by Mark Collins, October 8, 2014 · 11 Replies · 471 Views

Spphysio

Yes Nordic Hamstrings is growing stronger and stronger. More and more research is coming out about the benefits of the exercise for injury prevention. 

CraigR

Interesting Mark - this is the device that my physio is using to assess my recovery after ACL reconstruction.

 

My physio was surprised with my result, and maybe more surprised that I even knew what the exercise was.  I feel it is a unique exercise for most and that may skew the numbers based on a person's previous exposure to the exercise.

DieKatze

The stronger your hamstrings are during eccentric movements, the fewer the risk of injuries to your hamstrings.

Wow. Mind = blown. ;) to be honest i thought this is common knowledge in training circles?!

Shouldnt this be true for every single muscle?

Mark Collins
DieKatze said:

The stronger your hamstrings are during eccentric movements, the fewer the risk of injuries to your hamstrings.

Wow. Mind = blown. ;) to be honest i thought this is common knowledge in training circles?!

Shouldnt this be true for every single muscle?

If only they had bought Foundation...the time they could have saved.

DieKatze

I would be interested in the relation between eccentric and concrntric strength. The article only states that the eccentrically strongest athletes were least injury-prone. But are those athletes significantly different from those with the most concentric strength?

Micawberian
DieKatze said:

I would be interested in the relation between eccentric and concrntric strength. The article only states that the eccentrically strongest athletes were least injury-prone. But are those athletes significantly different from those with the most concentric strength?

My thoughts here are If we are talking about an exercise like the nordic curl/nlc...the amount of people who can perform a single concentric rep correctly is next to nothing.

I reckon if they were testing strength via nordic curls, they simply couldn't get any data on concentric strength because no one could do the exercise concentrically.

thecolin

There's a lot of exercises I learned from Foundation, but I think this one is pretty common with a lot of body weight training programs.

Mark Collins

I wonder how much better would they be if they did the leg series and started the hamstring work alongside deck squats and skiers.

Nacho training

Immortals.

thecolin
Nacho training said:

In addition, Foundation also predicts how long we will live!

 

How many points for a pistol squat?  :D

 

It would have been interesting if they had controlled for exercise levels to get a better feel for how much physical degeneration is up to lifestyle and what's left to genetics.