This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What to do after you're sick and took time off?

Started by Kevin Sach, October 7, 2014 · 3 Replies · 277 Views

Kevin Sach

Hi all,

 

Just a quick question. I am currently sick and feel absolutely awful. As such, I will be unable to workout for about a week I'm guessing. My question is, what is recommended once you're all better? Should you continue the weeks from where you left off or start the micro cycle all over again? 

 

Thanks

Sensei JP

Treat illness like an (unavoidable, sadly) injury.  In general, I assume a 2:1 ratio, so if I miss one week, I go back two weeks and start there.  Depending on how you feel you might even need to do less.

 

About two months ago I was sick as well.  Took half a week off and then tried to jump right back at it.  After all, I felt fine when I woke up.  My RC reps went like this: 12, 10, 4, 2.  I fell off so hard, so I immediately cut my volume in half.  Essentially I did a deload, I guess, though here it was more of a reload.  Took two weeks before I felt normal again.

 

TL:DR: Treat it like a deload.  Cut volume way back.  It's okay to stop.  Focus on getting better before getting stronger.

john_c

I was ill for 2 weeks after a deload recently and I couldn't do anything, I was as weak as a kitten. So I hadn't done a full workout for about 3 weeks, so the first week back I done about 80% of my last week prior to the deload, then the next week I did 100% and then did a further 2 weeks before a deload week.

Kevin Sach

Basically I need to ease into it. Thanks for the replies.