This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question on sPL/PE1 Scapular Shrugs

Started by Hanlim Lee, October 6, 2014 · 4 Replies · 261 Views

Hanlim Lee

Hi 

 

When I do scapular shrugs, especially doing protraction, I also elevate my shoulder a bit.

 

retraction - depression, protraction - elevation happen at the same time.

 

I cannot completely exclude them from one another.

 

 

Is it natural, i mean, is it how human body designed to elevate at the same time to protract? 

 

if not, any tips? 

 

 

P.S Could anyone teach me how to search past topics in the forum?

 

I typed SPL in the search box on the left top of this page but nothing searched. This can't be true. 

Murray Truelove

Try practising the movement whilst standing or against a wall. This let's you experiment without getting exhausted.

Also, if you haven't already, film yourself. When I was first doing these I was artificially creating depth by sinking at the hips. Having all the movement come from just the scapula felt like I wasn't descending enough but actually I was.

Searching isn't great because there isn't a naming convention and people don't use tags.

Ian Ross

Filming is really important.  I filmed these for the first time today, and as Murray says, it really feels like you're not going deep enough, even when your scapulae are pinched right together at the bottom.

Hanlim Lee
Murray Truelove said:

Try practising the movement whilst standing or against a wall. This let's you experiment without getting exhausted.

Also, if you haven't already, film yourself. When I was first doing these I was artificially creating depth by sinking at the hips. Having all the movement come from just the scapula felt like I wasn't descending enough but actually I was.

Searching isn't great because there isn't a naming convention and people don't use tags.

 

Same feeling of engaging elevation happens when I do the movement or wrist stretches of Handstand one.

 

I already filmed a month ago. Would you like to comment on it? 

 

I had some sagging issues but got better these days.

 

 

Murray Truelove

Something that I can see (I'm not really qualified to say). You appear to going PPT to ATP as you descend (your pelvic is rolling forward creating an arch in your lower back) focus on squeezing the glutes as much as you can through the whole rep.

Another thing that might help, keep you eyes fixed on something (I use the end of my yoga mat) as you're currently looking all over the place. This will also help you learn to "feel" the movement.

Protraction and retraction looks good though.