This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tuck-ups question

Started by Nick Roy, October 5, 2014 · 5 Replies · 243 Views

Nick Roy

Hello, question with regards to Tuck Ups form. When I'm doing each rep, I can fully compress and pull my knees close to my chest but doesn't actually touch the chest. Is that considered a full rep?

When watching the instruction video I can't tell if the knees are actually hitting the chest or just close.

Second, I think it's a mix of somewhat inactive glutes and tight hip flexors, but during later sets my back starts to act up a little. Nothing major, but I'd like to avoid doing something wrong and having problems later when I'm doing mastery sets. I'm doing controlled reps so I don't think it's my form that is causing it

Rayne-William

Yes that is a full repetition. 

 

You may need to stretch out your lower back and keep your abs tight if you want to compress your knees against your chest.

 

An easy lower back stretch would be to lay on your back, bring your knees up toward your chest, as if you are doing a tuck up, wrap your arms around your legs and pull your legs closer to your chest.

Jon Douglas

Engaging ppt correctly also helps prevent rounding your back too much. Try to minimise craning forward or hunching your shoulders as this can give you the illusion of greater ROM :)

Nick Roy

Sorry, still a newbie here. PPT?

But yea, I don't really round the shoulders but I might be rounding my lowback. I'll pay closer attention to that part during tomorrow's workout

Carlos Rodríguez
Nick Roy said:

Sorry, still a newbie here. PPT?

But yea, I don't really round the shoulders but I might be rounding my lowback. I'll pay closer attention to that part during tomorrow's workout

PPT is posterior pelvic tilt. It's pretty much what you do in FL PE1 - PE6 while keeping the lower back to the ground. For more details on what PPT feels like, a bunch of iM's in H1 focus on PPT.

Rayne-William
Nick Roy said:

Sorry, still a newbie here. PPT?

But yea, I don't really round the shoulders but I might be rounding my lowback. I'll pay closer attention to that part during tomorrow's workout

Posterior Pelvic Tilt is where you tilt the upper portion of your pelvis toward your backside. Everyone does it naturally without even thinking about it.