This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Too tired to train properly when doing running during week

Started by Jari Tiukuvaara, October 4, 2014 · 7 Replies · 362 Views

Jari Tiukuvaara

I do foundation training 4 days a week and run twice a week, and rock climb 3 times a week. When I do gymnastic training on Monday and Tuesday, it goes well because if I try to do a few rep of the exercise I did that day a few hours later is is a lot more difficult. When I try to train on Thursday and Friday after running on Wednesday, I don't have much energy so I do 1 less rep for each set or 1 less set. 5 min after exercising It is hard to do a few reps of an exercise I did that day; but it is only temporary. A few hours  later, I can do a few reps of the exercise I did that day with the same difficulty as I first started that exercise that day for the workout. 

 

When I don't run at all, the training for Thursday and Friday goes as well as Monday and Tuesday. 

 

I want to do gymnastic training 4 times a week cause its my favourite part of my day and if I don't, I feel fat and uncomfortable. 

 

How can I do cardio to make my heart strong so it doesn't have to work as hard to improve general fitness and still do gymnastic training 4 days a week properly plus the same amount of rock climbing?  

thecolin

If you're doing Foundation the way you're supposed to, with no rest times, it's good cardio. It's not the kind of cardio that's going to get you running a 2 hour marathon, but it's debatable whether that's actually good for your heart health anyways. I can't handle any extra cardio on top of my F7 workouts, but my cardiovascular capacity is way beyond anyone I know who doesn't put in some serious mileage.

 

There are a lot of factors in heart disease, and if you're already getting in a good amount of vigrous exercise, I don't think the additional running is going to make a difference regarding your long term health. People who do lots of cardio have heart problems too. In fact there's evidence to support the hypothesis that excessive steady state cardio can be as bad for your heart as doing nothing at all.

 

Everyone has a different recovery rate, and you need to respect yours. If Foundation plus climbing is what your body can handle, then that's your recovery rate (assuming you're eating properly and sleeping enough). I'd suggest you just run when (and if) you feel like it. And focus on Foundation and climbing. Then beyond that focus on your diet for your long term health.

MT Nordic

It sounds like running is important to you, although your running regimen sounds like you're not a serious trainer, and maybe just doing it for general health.  If you want to run, why don't you do your foundation work first, then run afterwards?  If you are only running because of perceived health benefits, it may be beneficial to reassess whether you need it or not.  Personally, I think running is excellent for health and very enjoyable, as long as it's kept in a controlled volume.  However, it is not necessary for health, and walking could easily substitute if you're doing other movement and strength activities.  It's all about movement, in my eyes, and i want to be able to do anything with grace...walk, hike, run, sprint, roll, jump, etc.  On the other hand, if you are seriously training to become a more elite runner, by all means that should be your focus.  However, looking at the fact that you only run a few days a week i don't find that likely.  

Ravn

Why not just run once a week, basically doing maintenance while focusing on quality technique, rather than quantity? It's what I do, my only goal with running is just being able to run.

 

4x foundation and 4x climbing sounds pretty hard, maybe too hard to let you progress properly? In my experience, just a single hard bouldering session can leave you pretty knackered, which definitely affects your foundation performance negatively.

 

Remember that you want to subject your body to just the right amount of stimulus, that'll let you progress optimally, but which won't injure you or burn you out. Try to be more objective and less passionate about your training. Training obsession running amok can, ironically, set back your progress. The road to hell is paved with good intentions!  ;)

J0X

Never do cardio before strength work. Always the other way round ;)

Daniel Burnham

Yea as mentioned above it seems you are just overwhelming yourself with too much work.  I would suggest doing less and wait until your body adapts and can handle the load.  This should take a few months.

 

Personally I don't like organized long bouts of aerobic cardio.  I bike quite often 3-4 times a day for transportation and it does not affect my strength work.  Im a fan of approaching cardio as a general activity rather than a training session.  I have found I have no trouble spontaneously going on longer bike rides or running with this approach.

William

for how long are you actually doing this plan with twice a week running plus F+climbing?

I kinda have the same volume, i am training F7 twice a week, and day after H1+SLS+Running at the end + twice a week some ring stuff and its hard, but after just two weeks its getting a lot easier. body gets used to increasing volume very fast compared to other parameters, just start light and keep going for some weeks :)