breakdancing

Started by progress_one, October 4, 2014 · 7 Replies · 2,116 Views

progress_one

I ran across a number of threads here that were discussing breakdancing. I was just curious what you veteran breakdancers here who are also gymnasts recommend as the best guide to learn breakdancing.

 

I have this from when bboy.org was operational but I never put it to use yet:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/36651962/The-Comprehensive-How-to-B-Boy-Guide

 

Is this pretty much the best there is out there?

Nils Nordmark

Best way to learn, would be to take classes or train with someone with experience.

 

Second best would be to checkout these youtube-channels:
 


They provide pretty good quality tutorials in everything from powermoves, footwork, toprocks, transitions, basic moves and freezes.

Much easier to learn from these, than from a pdf-document
 
Goodluck!
progress_one

Thank you for the links. I think I will use both the pdf and videos. The pdf has an organized structure to it whereas the videos are all seemingly random. I wouldn't want to get an injury by working on a move that is too difficult without having mastered the prerequisites for a particular move. They both should come in handy.

progress_one

I forgot to ask one more thing. How should I go about practicing breakdancing since I am doing F1 and HS1 at the same time currently. Should I do breakdancing everyday when I finish F1 & HS1 or should only focus on those two programs? 

 

If the latter then when do I include breakdancing?

Washienko

It depends on how difficult what you are doing is.  Air flair and tutting are totally different on your body.

ChrisUK
progress_one said:

I forgot to ask one more thing. How should I go about practicing breakdancing since I am doing F1 and HS1 at the same time currently. Should I do breakdancing everyday when I finish F1 & HS1 or should only focus on those two programs? 

 

If the latter then when do I include breakdancing?

I used to bboy frequently but now I only do it occasionally in favor of BJJ. In general when working it alongside Foundation and Handstand you can work your toprock, footwork, drops, transitions and basic freezes (very basic) pretty much every day or every other day. Toprocking and footwork is all about building your endurance, learning rhythm, neuromuscular co-ordination and such, rather than any strength component so it is not very taxing on the CNS and has a hugely beneficial cardio component to it as well. 

 

I would only work heavily on your freezes and power moves (honestly add power moves later on once you have been bboying for a while and got the basics down) a few times a week, and I would place them after your foundation work. The exception being any hand balance or handstand freezes then place them after your Handstand work. With both freezes and power moves the common advice is quantity over quality. Thousands of repetitions per week. This is the exact opposite of what you want to do, and you need to focus on quality to get down good form. Some moves like windmills require a huge amount of quantity but you need to make sure they are all high quality, never sacrifice it. 

 

Finally, definitely have at least 1 day a week (preferably 2) where you work on combining everything and achieving a state of flow. Start a cypher with some friends for 20 mins after practicing each component. 

 

Bboying and GST are an amazing combo, but a very very tough one because both are extremely taxing, and Bboying requires a huge amount of practice especially at first. 

 

If you need anything else definitely ask here or shoot me a pm

 

Chris.

JamesP

While the internet (youtube especially) is a good tool for learning breakdancing the best tool I can recommend is this: Get out there and experience the culture first hand. It's one thing to regurgitate and practice the moves, it's another to go to jams, practice sessions, and workshops by world renowned bboys who have been around for a long time. You have to understand that it's a dance first and foremost and if you don't understand the background of the dance (for ex, it was a 'social' party dance first), you won't make much progress or get a good feel for the "groove". That is why you see so many people excel athletically at breakdancing, but are absolutely stiff when it comes to rhythm and musicality.

progress_one

Unfortunately, James the scene in my locale (Honolulu) is very much underground and not very open to "outsiders" from what I have casually observed so far. So, that option may not work. But I will still continue to look for places to practice nevertheless.