This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hip Internal Rotation Stretch?

Started by NoHiddenCosts, October 4, 2014 · 6 Replies · 2,100 Views

NoHiddenCosts

Any suggestions for good stretches for Internal Rotation in the Hip? My external rotation is dandy, but my internal rotation is quite lacking. I've been doing the "Frog" stretch, since it feels like it's hitting the right spot, but I thought I'd ask what other people like!

 

This is the Frog, consisting of this pose and pushing your butt back with your arms. Very unpleasant feelings!

Hip-Flexor-Stretch-Frog.jpg

Rayne-William

1. sPL/PE1>iM

2. Sit down on the floor with both of your legs internally rotated instead of externally rotated.

NoHiddenCosts

Thanks, Rayne-William! I'm trying to stretch out my internal rotation for the sake of improving sPL/PE1>iM, so I'm looking for supplementary exercises.

 

By "Sit down on the floor with both of your legs internally rotated", do you mean something like this, but sitting up?:

untitled.png

Rayne-William

Something like that. When your body has developed the additional mobility you will be able to sit up while your legs are internally rotated. If you want to you sit up with one leg internally rotated while the other is externally rotated.

Hanlim Lee

Wouldn't that position damages you knees? It looks very bad to me. 

 

well what you want is hip joint stretch but the stretch in the picture seems to hit the knees, not hip joints.

 

and rotation, not folding, in knees are lethal. that's gonna break your ankle.

 

this post has been more than six months, so I want to know how you felt from this stretch in the picture. 

Cole Dano

It will only damage your knees if you are too aggressive with it. There should be no more than a mild sensation at the knees.

 

I wouldn't use it to build lots of ROM in internal rotation, but done in an easy manner it's totally normal and natural, 

brown.3794

I don't know if which was more beneficial but I just started the stretch series  and have been doing the core work from dan somerset for about 3 weeks.  Using them I've had massive increases in external and internal rotation. I do dan's stuff in my warm up just ten reps each side for the side planks and planks I just hold for 10 breaths. 

 

http://deansomerset.com/planks-are-the-magic-bullet-for-hip-mobility/