This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Deck squat progression question

Started by Vikas Agartha, October 2, 2014 · 2 Replies · 186 Views

Vikas Agartha

My question is specific to the deck squat progression, but the principle is important for the all of foundation exercises.

 

I can perford the 5x15 deck squats comfortably at this point. I am confident in the movement, and I am strong enough in it to do 10x15 if I had to. The mobility is another thing completely. I can squat low enough but I cannot twist my hips to the side as much as the example video.

 

Should I continue to stick to this progression? The deck squats are easy, and the mobility is doable, but the form is not optimal.

 

If one is solid in the strength element in a progression, but cannot do the mobility with as good of form as the videos, should progress be delayed?

 

Thanks in advance for the help!

Jeremy Huston
Vikas Agartha said:

If one is solid in the strength element in a progression, but cannot do the mobility with as good of form as the videos, should progress be delayed?

Yes -- you must master both the strength element and mobility element to move on to the next element.

Keegan

What Tex said.

If the Deck squats are easy then just put that extra energy that you previously had to devote to them into really getting the skiers down. Just remember though that you can't push mobility work with as much intensity as you can push strength work.