This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Some Questions

Started by Alex Tansel, October 2, 2014 · 5 Replies · 243 Views

Alex Tansel

1. Swivel Hips - Do your glutes literally have to stay planted on the floor throughout the whole movement? Is this even possible?

2. Stiff Leg Windmill - how much weight to use?

3. Hinge Rows - Where do you recommend hanging your rings for this movement? I usually put the rings from a pull up bar in my doorway but the frame is to small to complete the movement in.

4. ABH - Should you be arched as MUCH as possible, because the difference between as much as possible and slightly less is huge in how difficult it is to maintain the position.

5. Can you change exercise order? i.e. if you are going for mastery and would prefer to attempt it fresh. (or is the prior conditioning part of the difficulty in achieving it.)

 

-

 

6. Okay this one is from Handstand 1 - In tripods and headstands should part of the exercise be about conditioning the neck and skull - because I have no problem holding the form but have to stop through pain in my head and neck and jaw, this would be an annoying thing to hold me back from moving on, because I'm not sure how much you can even condition these, and don't know why this hurts me so much.


Thanks loads, this forum is incredibly helpful and the community is very supportive. My apologies for any stupid questions I have asked I just want complete clarification because I really do plan on going through all the foundation courses.

KibboKift

1. Yes and yes. Check the Swivel Hips sticky for more in depth advice.

 

2. 5 - 10 lb is the standard for every exercise in F1 which uses a dumbell.

 

3. I don't have much to offer here I'm sorry. Couldn't you just sit a bit further back so that the door frame doesn't get in the way of your elbows?

 

4. You should match the ROM demonstrated in the course video. What's possible for you at this stage in your training is not really relevant; just focus on reaching the required standard. The ABH sticky has tons of advice.

 

5. I believe it's permissible to change the exercise order from that in the course material - I find it more productive not to do two pressing movements consecutively for example. But it's cheating a bit if you need to do an exercise first in order to demonstrate mastery. If you were being tested for certification, you would have to demonstrate mastery of one element after the other.

 

6. It's best to ask H1 questions in the H1 forum. It's possible to begin with your feet supported to lessen the load on your neck to begin with. Make sure you have something soft under your head to lessen the discomfort.

Alex Tansel
KibboKift said:

1. Yes and yes. Check the Swivel Hips sticky for more in depth advice.

 

 

 

Okay, thanks, this one has shocked me, I didn't think mobility would be an issue this early. Do you have any tips of your own on the swivel hips as I see you've passed it. 

Thanks for all your answers, they helped. 

Alessandro Mainente

4 - it's quite important think of arch and in the same time elongate yourself. try to push away the legs from the upper body. excessive compression on lumbar spine it's not the goal

KibboKift
Alex Tansel said:

Okay, thanks, this one has shocked me, I didn't think mobility would be an issue this early. Do you have any tips of your own on the swivel hips as I see you've passed it. 

Thanks for all your answers, they helped. 

Well I seemed to have the opposite problem to most other people who struggle with this, in that I was fine with the internal rotation, but lacked external rotation. I was doing several things at the same time, so I don't know which were the most effective, but if you just do the movement without any other focussed mobility work I think you'll find progress to be very slow. I did: Piriformis stretching, squashed frog, sumo squat, butterfly pose, foam rolling. The cossacks and twisting squats may have helped too. I would suggest that you always keep your glutes on the ground and then move your knees as close to the ground as you are able. This way it's easy to see how far you are from mastery and if you are making progress.

Richard Sassoon

1 - I also thought it would be impossible but consistent work pays off :)

The sticky thread helped and daily work on it was crucial. One day it just happened. I would do extra sets of swivel hips on B days, H1 days and off days, and in addition some more stretches like Kibbo mentioned. I still do them at least 3 days a week so I'm sure I can always perform them hehe... I still have problems on the first reps if I'm not warmed up.

One thing that helped as well was to get the knees on the floor, and with the opposite hand of the internally rotated hip press down and lean on that side trying to get the glute to the ground. quite a strong sensation.