How can I improve my backflip?

Started by Austin7, October 1, 2014 · 4 Replies · 2,596 Views

Austin7

 

The single leg squat progressions in Foundation are definitely helping with these. 

Coach Sommer

Not bad at all.

 

Your feet should land exactly where you took off from.  Work on pressing the hips forward during the initial jump and set.  This will help.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Austin7
Coach Sommer said:

Not bad at all.

 

Your feet should land exactly where you took off from.  Work on pressing the hips forward during the initial jump and set.  This will help.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

I struggle in understanding how to press my hips forward in the set. My body feels that if I don't "lean back" enough, I won't be able "start" the flip. How did you get your athletes to understand the concept of pressing the hips forward during the initial jump and set? 

A huge thank you for the feedback though. I will post an updated video when I fix the issue.

Daniel Burnham

My favorite drill for where you are at is to go to tramp and practice setting up where you will have more time to feel the rise whike opening the hips. Then you can initiate the flip by bringing the knees/ legs overhead.

Like coach said. It looks pretty good. You are getting decently high in the set before pulling which is the problem most people have doing.

Austin7
Coach Sommer said:

Not bad at all.

 

Your feet should land exactly where you took off from.  Work on pressing the hips forward during the initial jump and set.  This will help.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ever since you told me to "land exactly where I took off from", I would try backflips after every workout. Eventually I landed in the same spot! Then I got the idea to try to back tuck and move forward.... so after a lot more tries I ended up with  my first gainer about a month ago! Thank you very much for the helpful info that lead to this skill!