This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Can do freestanding handstand, but still on wall HS. Able to start HS2 work? (Coach?)

Started by Austin7, October 1, 2014 · 5 Replies · 448 Views

Austin7

Here is a video of me doing a freestanding handstand for over a minute after all my "work sets" of 60s wall HS.

 

 

This is not my longest hold, nor was it my best HS. This was simply me "playing" around after my HS work. 

 

Now as you can see, after I hit a one minute hold, my body started giving up. Lots of wobbling around. My biggest issue is that every time I reach one minute in a HS, my wrists feel like they've been cut off.

 

Due to that reason, I've been doing each PE for a month at a time in hopes of letting my wrists get the endurance it needs for longer holds. It has been helping but I also feel as if I'm holding myself back. 

 

I own HS2 and know you aren't allowed to start it until you are on the 5x30s freestanding element. 5x30 sec without a wall isn't a problem for me, but I am not at this progression yet because my wrists struggle w/ 5x60s holds on the wall. 

 

My question is, am I able to start HS2 while deloading PE/10 at the moment, or should I wait until I get to SE/7? 

Alessandro Mainente

Well first shoot a video from the side. i think is more a matter of IM's you have correctly conquered, this will ensure a decent level of shoulders active range of motion.

I got in the past your same problem. forearms were burning like hell. the secret is simple learn how to balance on the correct hand  place.

You can choose from 2 positions:

1- push the beginning of you palm down and at the same time also the top part of it and bend your fingers to make the pressure easier

2- while you're holding the previous palm position you can try to lift the fingers from the floor but this time they must remain straight all the time.

 

I can see the second one as a sort of progression of the first way.

To correctly perform the second you need an impressive level of flexibility of forearms and a very very good active strength of extensors carpii.

this is a pretty good help simply because by lifting the fingers you are forced to stay on the palms. also here you need to focus to not push with the final bone of the fingers but hold it in the air. this is what I feel a real balance. one you've reached a perfect sense of alignment you do not need to adjust the position with fingers.

 

post-1151-0-10366000-1412242567_thumb.pn

 

Jeremy Huston

From the course description:

Course Prerequisite

-Foundation Two

Handstand Two also integrates directly into your Foundation Three and Four workouts and can (and should) be trained with Handstand One.

 

Where are you with your Foundation work?  Where did you get the SE7 requirement for HS2?  Obviously you need a good handstand before you can do a good press handstand.  I haven't seen HS2, but I would assume it has at least a year's worth of prep work before you're really doing handstands.

dgaetano

From the H2 section "Press Handstand Execution->Where to Start"

 

"You may begin the press handstand preparatory elements (pHS/PE) exercises immediately along side your Handstand One training."

 

"Do not however begin training the press handstand specific elements (pHS/SE) exercises until you have mastered the 5x30s free HS from H1 (HS/SE7)."

 

There are thirteen H2 preparatory elements, so plenty to work on even while beginning H1.

manze
dgaetano said:

From the H2 section "Press Handstand Execution->Where to Start"

 

"You may begin the press handstand preparatory elements (pHS/PE) exercises immediately along side your Handstand One training."

 

"Do not however begin training the press handstand specific elements (pHS/SE) exercises until you have mastered the 5x30s free HS from H1 (HS/SE7)."

 

There are thirteen H2 preparatory elements, so plenty to work on even while beginning H1.

Mind = blown. Welp, gotta buy H2 now!

mitko

What dgaetano didn't mention is that you have to finish F2 before starting H2 :)