This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Why the first two IM are a prerequisite for the dislocates? (Alex)

Started by Stefano Baral, October 1, 2014 · 11 Replies · 926 Views

Stefano Baral

Hy to all,

 

yesterday I read a topic where Alex stated that the first two IM are a necessary prerequisite for the shoulder dislocates and I would like to know more about this point.

 

Alex cou/ld you please ealborate?

 

Anyone else has something to say about it?

 

 

Thank to anyone who  responds.

Jeremy Huston

You need mobility through a partial ROM before you should work on mobility through a full ROM.  The first 2 iMs are partial ROM dislocates to some extent.  The simpler movements prepare the connective tissue for the more challenging movements to come.

Alessandro Mainente

tex perfectly sayed my idea with few rows!

DAMIEN DEL RUSSO

Does this mean I shouldn't be doing dislocates while I'm just hanging out watching TV and stuff?

 

Oh, I'm on HS/PE2+iM (first day!). My plan was to do unweighted dislocates over the next 2-3 months so that when I get to weighted dislocates I at least have decent unweighted ROM. Bad idea?

 

Thanks!

 

Damien

Coach Sommer

Except for loosening up a little prior to beginning serious mobility work, most adults will find that unweighted dislocates provide little benefit.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

DAMIEN DEL RUSSO

Should I wait until weighted dislocates come up in the programming? Knowing that I have tight shoulders, I was thinking I should work ahead during my free time. I'm currently on HS/PE2. Please advise if this may cause problems. I have a lightly weighted bar to use.

 

Thank you,

 

Damien

Keilani Gutierrez

you'll be best served stretching out your chest, bicep and lats individually, for now to be honest. doing a few rounds of iM2 with some stretches from the Foundation HBP and RC section put my shoulders in gear for the days work.

Jeremy Huston
DAMIEN DEL RUSSO said:

Should I wait until weighted dislocates come up in the programming? Knowing that I have tight shoulders, I was thinking I should work ahead during my free time. I'm currently on HS/PE2. Please advise if this may cause problems. I have a lightly weighted bar to use.

 

Yes, wait.  There's a reason IMs 1 - 4 are in the program before dislocates.  Skipping ahead is asking for problems.

Jon Douglas

Agreed. Chances are you'd have no problems, but the potential damage here is more serious than to risk on ' chances are'

Alessandro Mainente

why they are necessary? well we are talking about IM that is mobility related to strength (active mobility), that is for definition strength training. think about another element in foundations. are you trying directly the final version or you are building up movement piece over piece? here there is the same idea. before build up the fundamental pieces then combine them into more advanced element (no matter if advanced is only a basic movement).

RyanC
Coach Sommer said:

Except for loosening up a little prior to beginning serious mobility work, most adults will find that unweighted dislocates provide little benefit.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

So using a weighted bar with my dislocates and shoulder flexibility work will help bring them along faster? I've plateaued lately and have made no progress with my shoulder flexibility in my Handstand course.

 

So as i understand things......Working towards getting the range of motion required in HS/PE2 with a weighted bar is the only way. I'll try this out and see if i begin making more progress. Thx Coach

Coach Sommer
RyanC said:

So using a weighted bar with my dislocates and shoulder flexibility work will help bring them along faster? I've plateaued lately and have made no progress with my shoulder flexibility in my Handstand course.

 

So as i understand things......Working towards getting the range of motion required in HS/PE2 with a weighted bar is the only way. I'll try this out and see if i begin making more progress. Thx Coach

 

Yes, Ryan.  All shoulder mobility work should always be done with a weighted bar.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer