This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Korean Dips and big butts...

Started by kokoro1, September 30, 2014 · 17 Replies · 582 Views

kokoro1

Is there a trick to getting your ass over the bar on Korean dips? Seriously, I literally can't get my butt back over the parallel bar. I descend to the bottom, I can press myself back up, but my ass gets in the way, and when I get it around the bar, I'm too far forward and I come off the bars. Is there a trick to this? It's too funny to me. Lol!

I'm just wondering if there's something in the technique that I'm doing incorrectly.

Thanks for the help.

Jure Rakuljic
kokoro1 said:

Is there a trick to getting your ass over the bar on Korean dips? Seriously, I literally can't get my butt back over the parallel bar. I descend to the bottom, I can press myself back up, but my ass gets in the way, and when I get it around the bar, I'm too far forward and I come off the bars. Is there a trick to this? It's too funny to me. Lol!

I'm just wondering if there's something in the technique that I'm doing incorrectly.

Thanks for the help.

Shud this not be in foundation 2  forum? I dont think korean dips can be found in f1.

Alessandro Mainente

the aim of korean is press forward then upward. people fail when they try to press upward directly when the descent portion is finished.

LateStarter@46

I thought I had a big bottom too - well, I do but not that big ;-) - what helped me was going with the swing. Then later on, bringing more control into the movement.

Jeremy Huston
LateStarter@46 said:

I thought I had a big bottom too - well, I do but not that big ;-) - what helped me was going with the swing. Then later on, bringing more control into the movement.

 

I agree with all this.  Also, wait a fraction of a second later to really push up.

Wolf with one Ear

I find this move to have some skill aspect to it; it is not just a question of strength.  After not having done them for quite some time, I revisited them, and was unable to do them properly.  I either used momentum to swing out past the bar, or could not clear my rear, so to speak.  I knew I had the strength and range of motion.  So I had to play with it again, I finally re-discovered the right way to move through.  I do not know if I can explain it well, but if I arch my back, there will be problems.  I try  to be able to look at my feet, and imagine a hollow position, although I do not think that I achieve one.  Also, as one of the posts above mentions, keeping the forearms vertical is also part of it.  I found that my grip on the bar dictated, to some degree, whether I would be able to clear the bar or not.  

 

This is a move I need to continuously practice for some reason or I can't keep doing it.  

LateStarter@46
Wolf with one Ear said:

This is a move I need to continuously practice for some reason or I can't keep doing it.

Ditto!

VegVeg

Try a slightly wider grip, also using a death grip on the bars (really squeezing them) helped me.

 

If they are still 'impossible' after 2-3 workouts perhaps the previous progressions weren't truly mastered.

 

 

Sincrely yours,

Big Bottomed Guy

LateStarter@46

Agree with VegVeg, checking mastery still holds for previous exercises should be done as often as possible without making the warm up too long.

Joshua Slocum

For me, the key is to keep a good hollow position. My instinct is to arch to try to get my butt further from the bar, but this actually has the effect of making my butt closer to the bar! 

 

Timing is also important, but even with proper timing I still hit my butt if I'm arched.

Mark Collins

I think I may have a big butt.

Cole Dano
Joshua Slocum said:

For me, the key is to keep a good hollow position. My instinct is to arch to try to get my butt further from the bar, but this actually has the effect of making my butt closer to the bar! 

 

Timing is also important, but even with proper timing I still hit my butt if I'm arched.

 

Josh, is there any chance you'd be able to post a video of how you do it?

 

In the course video Dillion has a very controlled tight arch, and that's what I found worked for me, so I'm interested to see how you maintain the hollow, or what's really going on.

Joshua Slocum
Cole Dano said:

Josh, is there any chance you'd be able to post a video of how you do it?

 

In the course video Dillion has a very controlled tight arch, and that's what I found worked for me, so I'm interested to see how you maintain the hollow, or what's really going on.

Can do. I'm doing Foundation stuff tomorrow so I'll take a video during my warmup.

Mark Collins

I think my butt is shrinking. I nearly got my first rep tonight.

kokoro1
alex87 said:

the aim of korean is press forward then upward. people fail when they try to press upward directly when the descent portion is finished.

This really helped me. Once I tried pushing forward and then upward, I went from not even being able to do one rep, to being able to do several in a row.

Mark Collins

I will try to push forward and up as I am pushing up and back, which is why my butt gets stuck.

Joshua Slocum
Joshua Slocum said:

Can do. I'm doing Foundation stuff tomorrow so I'll take a video during my warmup.

Sorry, didn't get a chance yesterday because the girls were using uneven bars all day. Will try to do Monday.

Mark Collins

I got my first two full reps today. I am not sure what I did, but I got the butt over the bar.