This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

tripod, headstand, forearm headstands, why?

Started by Bret Kennedy, September 30, 2014 · 10 Replies · 501 Views

Bret Kennedy

Hi All.. I really wanted to get an insight into the progression of this leading to a handstand.

 

I have just started back as I mentioned in a previous post, and dedicating all my training to GB. I did gymnastics for 2 years about 10 years ago, when I was getting my stunt performers grading for 'body control' here in australia. I was in my mid 20's at the time with no Gymnastics experience at all.I had a coach at the time, and although we worked on getting skills and strength down, the handstand started as a handstand, and not the progression in the HS series.

 

My questions arise because when I did start this earlier in the year, my tripod was good, it passed all critique here on the forums, but I was unable to do 1 head stand. I found the weight of my body through such a small part of my neck was just too much. There was no external additional neck strengthening work in the program, and I felt that I was going to hurt myself. 

 

So could someone higher up give me some info on the reason for those 3, and how the isometric hold which is the tripod/headstand/forearm headstand strengthens the neck enough to allow 89kg to be support on such a vital part of the body?

 

thanks heaps in advance

Bret

 

 

MT Nordic

this should probably be moved to the H1 forum before too much discussion ensues. 

ausswe

My neck definTely felt stronger altering mastering pe1 and pe2 is now kind of Therapeutic. I'm just speculating but I believe pe1 is to strengthen. The neck without too much load enabling you to load it more by doing pe 2 which is teaching a bit of balance while strength in he delts somewhat and pe3 is teaching you to have good balance awareness upside down.

All of them are helping with getting used to being upside down which for some is an issue when doing handstand work so this is an easy way to get into it.

Alan Tseng

HS/PE1 and HS/PE2 require same amount of shoulder flexion ROM, but HS/PE2 requires more strength.  HS/PE3 requires more shoulder flexion ROM than HS/PE2, and finally HS/PE4 has even more shoulder flexion ROM than HS/PE3 and has same amount of shoulder flexion ROM as a handstand.

IBGC

The other aspect of it is you are gradually narrowing your base of support and raising your centre of mass meaning you require more body control as you progress.

Alessandro Mainente

introduce the balance by gradually decrease the assistance and learn how to feel the sense of weight stacked over the head.

Bret Kennedy

cool thanks for the insight..

 

 

i will work on the 12 weeks of tripod and see how my neck goes, but as I mentioned before, after the first 12 weeks I did earlier, I felt my neck was no where near strong enough to support me, I couldn't even get up on my head and hands.

 

again thanks heaps

Alex Tansel

I'm with you on this, I find this very painful. But I am also quite heavy 86kg.

So is it that lighter people just don't struggle with this as much

Bret Kennedy

not sure.. I am at 90kg now, but losing weight and as I mentioned only just started back to GB> this is my second week. I will be sticking with this 100% though, as I am moving to the US to persue my stunt/acting career and need to be back in shape to hustle for stunt work.

IBGC

I'm 90kg too I don't find it a strain on my neck at all although I put a cushion down to pad my head.

I don't feel I have a lot of weight on my head. Maybe check you are not balanced right on top of your head and that you're inclined more towards your hands rather than being vertical ie. that your feet are closer to being over your hands than over your head. You should be supporting yourself mainly with your arms not your head. Head's just really an extra balance point. Check your hands are far enough away from your head too, not almost in a line with it. Hope you get there.

DAMIEN DEL RUSSO

I notice it makes a big difference which part of my head is bearing the weight. My natural inclination is to use the back of my head, but the videos appear to be more towards the forehead. I think the key is to find the most comfortable spot, as we'll be off our heads in a few months, right? Right?