This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

fatloss+ needed

Started by monkey, September 29, 2014 · 17 Replies · 726 Views

monkey

Dear Coach,

I am 5 foot 7 inches,200lbs heavy,approximately 50lbs  overweight!

I just started Foundation and handstand 1.What is my best way to decrease 20-30kg without interfering with my GB Training?.

For weightloss on  my off days i.e.Fri,Sat,Sun I am considering kettlebell swings,hill runs or cycling-Ideally swings-Is this acceptable?I also have a slowly improving strained Achilles tendon

.P.S. Does cycling shorten hamstring length or not significantly?..

Thanks.

RJS

i am not coach but i am your same height and used to be 200. i lost all excess fat by running everyday.

 

if you are a mesomorph like me, then you have to do cardio along with strength training, its just that way, even if you have a good diet.

jules

You're over thinking it.  

Just eat real food and get off the crap (try paleo/whole foods type diet), walk 20-30min a day, try to sleep around 10p-6aish in a dark room (Along with foundation training).

 

If you are too big to run, don't. It just puts extra strain on the joints.  You should be able cut a lot of the fat through diet and lifestyle choices alone.  Once you start to lean out, then maybe consider extended cardio.

RJS

Spoken like someone who has never struggled with weight loss? Once you have gone over, losing weight can be very difficult. In my opinion, its definately something to think about, alot.

Jeremy Huston
monkey said:

 

P.S. Does cycling shorten hamstring length or not significantly?..

 

My experience -- I get some of my best hamstring flexibility after cycling.  Cycling may shorten hamstring length on its own, but it warms up the hamstrings and hips really well to prepare them for stretching.  Make sure you leave some time at the end of your ride to throw on some sweat pants and do some MN iMs and work on your straddle/pancake as well.

ausswe

I found running to be the best way for me to loose fat. Hiking mountains every weekend helps substantially as well. Going to Nepal in a few days for a 2-3 week trek and 3 day rafting. Hoping that will help me lose the last couples kilos :P. Honestly thoughh by making the majority of my diet vegetables and getting enough protein I have started to slim down a lot. I also make sure I don't eat too many calories ( probably the most lie point)

jules
RJS said:

Spoken like someone who has never struggled with weight loss? Once you have gone over, losing weight can be very difficult. In my opinion, its definately something to think about, alot.

 

True, i've never been truly overweight. But I know a lot about building health.

The principles I have outlined is a great starting point. If you are not controlling your diet + lifestyle, then counting calories and doing extended cardio are more likely going to work against you in the long run.   If you want, I could have talked more about healthy gut flora, hormonal dysregulation, internal/external stress reduction, environmental disrupters etc.   Weight loss (health) is a lot more than calories in vs out.  Telling someone to run everyday may be exactly what they need, or it could be the worse thing.  

RJS

i just had my normal protein shake, but added almond butter last minute...AMAZING.

 

ok sorry, Jules, your my homie for realz, so its all good.

 

Monkey, my main man, i wish you all the best.

jules

Hey no probs RJS.

 

I'm studying to become a holistic nutritionist and a functional medicine practitioner, and I just want to get the message out there

that fat loss isn't always that easy.  :)

 

Back to Monkey,  try not to sweat it too much. Make sure you have all the basics covered (sleep, nutrition, movement etc).  When

you have all those down, then you can supplement with extra cardio etc.

 

What's your diet like now? 

RJS
Daniel Burnham said:

I use a bike for my main mode of transportation and often bike interbreeding for fun.

im not sure i like the sound of that Daniel. im happy for you and all, but things just got a little weird.

Daniel Burnham
RJS said:

im not sure i like the sound of that Daniel. im happy for you and all, but things just got a little weird.

Haha. Autocorrect. Should read on the weekend. I must have fat thumbs because I also accidentally deleted the post while trying to edit it.

Jure Rakuljic
monkey said:

Dear Coach,

I am 5 foot 7 inches,200lbs heavy,approximately 50lbs  overweight!

I just started Foundation and handstand 1.What is my best way to decrease 20-30kg without interfering with my GB Training?.

For weightloss on  my off days i.e.Fri,Sat,Sun I am considering kettlebell swings,hill runs or cycling-Ideally swings-Is this acceptable?I also have a slowly improving strained Achilles tendon

.P.S. Does cycling shorten hamstring length or not significantly?..

Thanks.

Hi monkey. Im 6 foot 5 229lbs. Diet is your problem solver i was in i similar situation, really diet is the solution i lost 39lbs by following a healty diet. I was running but really when you are doing foundation you dont need that, studies show cardio training is counter productive if you want too build strenght, no wounder i was feeling weaker when doing foundation.

If you find it hard to diet, start slowly like foundation, step by step, for me i first cut out all the sweet stuff, like candy, then after a few days, the soda, then again after a few days white bread, and 1-2 weeks after that i cut out even the ketchup. Many sucessfull people have done it this way.

Damon Amato

You cannot outrun a poor diet.

RJS

ok for the record i wasn't saying you can have a poor diet and be fine with just cardio. im saying for some body types and dispositions from long term fat storing, cardio must not be substituted for strength training, that individual needs both.
 

monkey said:

For weightloss on  my off days i.e.Fri,Sat,Sun I am considering kettlebell swings,hill runs or cycling-Ideally swings-

my main focus for the OP was this question, which to me sounds like "can i lose enough fat for foundation if i do one of these things..."

 

my answer is no, an overweight person at 5'7" at 200 has to seriously devote themselves to cardiovascular training, along with a near perfectly clean diet.

 

Capishko?

Jeremy Huston

Many people consider traditional cardio work to be overrated for fat loss and conditioning.  High Intensity Interval Training is very effective in shedding pounds.  It triggers hormonal responses to wake up your metabolism, so you burn fat even while you're not exercising.

 

And honestly, focused strength training fits the criteria for HIIT.  This has been my experience.  After many years of lots of cycling (1000+ miles/summer) and swimming in the winter, I had built up quite a bit of unwanted cushioning (30 lbs too much).  I basically dropped the cardio and replaced it with weight training and sprints....and the fat just melted away.  The most important part is to really work -- heavy squats and deadlifts can get your heart rate up higher than a long jog can.

 

Look at foundation PE's:  If you're 50 lbs overweight and not gasping for breath after 5x15 deck squats, you're not pushing hard enough.  Can you do 60r FL/PE2 without sweating?  How about 60s SL/PE1?  Planks?  Pushups?  Rows?

 

Damon Amato said:

You cannot outrun a poor diet.

Yes yes yes.  Cleaning up my diet by getting rid of most processed carbs probably had as big of an impact on my physique as any training I was doing.

 

 

I didn't mean for this to be such a long reply :)  The most important thing is to find something that works that you can stick with.  With your current composition, small changes in diet and exercise will probably make a huge difference.  You might need to tweak it later, but don't we all.  Good luck!

Nick Roy

You can outrun a poor diet, it will just catch up with you eventually. I was 175 as a serious basketball player for 2 years. Ate like crap the whole time and never cared because I would burn it same day. The only thing I stayed on top of was getting 1 gallon of water a day because of how active I was (walked/rode my bike everywhere as well). If you're highly highly active food doesn't matter all that much in regards to fatloss, because you will eventually burn it. But i can say you still feel the difference if you eat foods that are good for you, even if you burn them all the same. I hovered between 10-12% body fat during those years till I decided to clean up my diet. I graduated and basketball season was over so I knew the cardio would go down and I had to take that into account. Ate cleaner and started working out. Dropped down to 8% body fat with nowhere near the cardio I did during basketball season.

Point of my story is that there are always 2 factors for weight loss. Exercise and nutrition. If one sucks, the only way to make up for it is to be freakish in the other category. You can out run a poor diet, but only for so long and you have to run ALOT. 1 to 2 hours a day ain't gonna do it. You can eat healthy and live like a couch potato and just walk and still keep low bodyfat. If you ever break and eat crap foods you will put on fat tho and you won't have extra muscle to burn it so easy.

sean

Monkey,

 

Coach did a couple podcasts with a guy named Rob Wolf. Check it and him out.  You can find it under podcasts at the top of the screen. Be patient and persistent, it took time to get there, it will take time to get back. Rob's approach has been a game changer for myself and anyone else that I've encouraged to give it a try. 

BigBucky

Multiple studies have shown that HIIT is much more effective for weight loss than endurance training like running.  Jeremy is right; strength straining and sprints will be much more effective.  Kettlebell swings using Tabata protocol is a killer.