This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS PE1

Started by Alex Tansel, September 28, 2014 · 16 Replies · 463 Views

Alex Tansel

Am I understanding this correctly - you do 5 sets of 15 deck squats only split up by 20 reps of skiers (10 to each side) which if done correctly are basically full depth squats with a lean to the side?

So you basically do 175 squats in a row with no rest for mastery?

 

-

To me that seems like a hell of a lot, I mean I can already do single leg squats but I think it would take me months of repeating this progression to even get past PE1.

-

Also the reason I say done correctly is full depth is because in the video the gymnast is cutting his depth quite a bit but in the form notes coach says glutes to knee height - if you only went as low as in the video I suppose it would make it a bit easier.

 

Richard Sassoon

It is 10 skiers in total, so 5 each side. Usually on those iM where you change sides in each rep, the total is for both sides together.

As for the depth I went for glutes to knee height. PE1 was definitely the hardest for me...

Keegan

Glutes to knee height is still far from full depth (which would be sitting on the ankles/calves like PE1), but yeah, definitely a challenging exercise pairing, especially if you aren't used to high rep stuff or full ROM (PE1) squats.

Ryan Reynolds

I was sure I read that the opposite rep description other places???  But Coach liked your post so I'm guessing he agrees.  I've been doing GB for 14 weeks and I'm still confused about what constitutes a rep for most of these IM's.  It seems inconsistent post to post and im to im.  I'm going to list what I'm doing in as plain as English as possible and Coach correct or confirm my interpretation once and for all.

 

  • FL/PE1 - im - Cat/Cow - once in cat position, once in cow position = 1 rep; do the two position cycle 5 times
  • sPL/PE1 - im - swivel hips - swivel hips to the left, swivel hips to the right = 1 rep; do the 2 side cycle 5 times
  • HBP/PE1 - im - German Arm Swing - swing arms left, swing arms right = 1 rep; do the 2 side cycle 10 times
  • RC/PE1 - im - One arm upright lat lean - 30s stretch with left + 30s stretch with right
  • SL/PE1 - im - Standing hip circles - 10 revolutions clock wise, 10 revolutions counter clock wise
  • MN/PE1 - im - Stiff leg windmill - 5 reps with left arm up, 5 reps with right arm up
  • SLS/PE1 - im - Skiers - ski left, ski right = 1 rep; do the 2 sided cycle 10 times.

 

I thought I was applying the 2 sides = 1 rep logic correctly but this post and Coaches Summers "like" set me back to square 1.

 

 

Keegan

Not quite correct.

HBP/PE1>iM - German Arm Swings- swing arms left=1 rep, swing arms right=1 rep; so 10 swings= 5 swings left and 5 swings right

SL/PE1>iM - Hip Circles- rotate hips clockwise=1 rep, rotate hips counter clockwise=1 rep; so 10 circles= 5 circles clockwise and 5 circles counterclockwise

SLS/PE1>iM - Skiers- ski left=1 rep, ski right=1 rep; so 10 reps=5 reps ski left and 5 reps ski right

Really the only iM that isn't totally consistent with this are the swivel hips, but since it wouldn't make any sense to do more reps on one side than the other it's pretty obvious what to do with them.

Ryan Reynolds

Actually both swivel hips and stiff arm windmill are inconsistent.  And your right you obviously wouldn't want to do more on one side, but the inconsistency is consistently leading people to do double the amount of reps on the other iMs

Ryan Reynolds

What about RC im you never mentioned if its 30s each side or 15s each side. 

 

So that brings the total to 3 listed one way and 4 listed the other way.  Very consistently inconsistent. 

Alan Tseng

If the iM alternating directions, then each direction counts as 1 rep.  For example, swivel hips is 10 reps, and it's an alternating iM, so 5 rep per side.

 

If the iM is only 1 direction, then perform the required reps/time on both side.  For example, the RC iM requires 30 second, and that would mean 30 second per arm (total of 60 second).  Same with windmill, since you're not alternating each rep, you do 5r on one side, then 5r on the next side

Keegan

^ This.

Also, if you watch the iM demo videos closely in many cases the athlete actually performs the prescribed number of repetitions.

Ryan Reynolds

Thanks for your help Alan and Keegan. 

 

I hope a rep explanation can be added to the FAQ's or begin here threads.  Especially since as you've both just explained you need to interpret the assigned rep differently depending on what the exercise is. 

 

There is enough researching and trial and error involved with all this that rep counts shouldn't have to be one more thing to be confused about.

Alan Tseng

There is a "begin here" and "FAQ" thread, it's stickied at the top of the Foundation 1 forums:

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/13404-foundation-one-exercise-faq/

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/13403-new-to-foundation-one-start-here/

 

This can be found in the Foundation 1 FAQ

How do the repetition counts in the Integrated Mobility elements work?

  • For single-limbed elements, eg) RC/PE1>iM, complete the repetition or time count on each side.

  • For elements which alternate directions, eg) RC/PE4>iM, complete the total rep count on each side (unless explicitly indicated, as in sPL/PE2>iM). That is, left + right = one complete repetition.

  • For other elements, complete a single set as instructed.

Do not cycle repetitions for the IM's. For example, you will complete one 10-second set of sPL/PE5>iM: Prone 1/2 Straddle Planche Hold after each set of PE5: planche leans, regardless of the duration of those leans.

 

Richard Sassoon

The problem with the second point in that excerpt is that it goes against what has been accepted everywhere else and what we are trying to say here, and even what you wrote Alan. Probably that would be a good time to send a message to Cory and fix that?

Ryan Reynolds

I knew I had read it the opposite of Richards first post somewhere (go figure, it was in the FAQ). 

 

Yes point two indicates to me 10 skiers per side, 10 german arm swings, 10 hip circles per direction.  The other problem that the examples listed are for some of the advanced exercises.  More relevant examples for a new client would be the first im elements. 

prob1

Hi All

 

Following on from this post do you actually need to be able to do 15 reps of deck squats followed by 10 skiers five times without rest to achieve mastery i.e. no rest throughout these exercises?

 

As Alex stated that is an awful lot of volume rather than strength or am I missing something?

Tuomas S
prob1 said:

Hi All

 

Following on from this post do you actually need to be able to do 15 reps of deck squats followed by 10 skiers five times without rest to achieve mastery i.e. no rest throughout these exercises?

 

As Alex stated that is an awful lot of volume rather than strength or am I missing something?

 

"To move to the next progression, you must be able to perform 5 sets of 15r along with the coupled mobility."

 

Yes! No rest between sets, same goes for all the exercises.

 

It's not just strength, it's also about building work capacity.

Keegan

Yes, 15 deck squats + 10 skiers for 5 consecutive sets, no additional rest to claim mastery and be able to move on to the next progression.

If you haven't already done so I would highly recommend listening to the Foundation 1 Webinar available on the course portal page. In it Coach explains some of the rationale behind the high reps on earlier progressions.

prob1

Many thanks for the clarification. I will continue on my path to enlightenment  :D