This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Got to planche leans! Need some critique

Started by Richard Sassoon, September 28, 2014 · 12 Replies · 713 Views

Richard Sassoon

After some ups and down with training and other things I got back on track, and on the last 2 months I have advanced quite a bit on a few elements, including sPL! After taking care of swivel hips, I had good progress and reached planche leans this week. I have read a lot of threads on it, including the most famous one by Adriano, I guess. In any case, I know I need to improve my protraction, but my lean is about lower rib cage. I wonder what else I can improve before adding more volume.

On the video it was my 6th set of 12s. I was so focused that I did 5x12s, and then remembered I wanted to film it haha.

 

Thanks guys! I have a renewed motivation now :)

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VAhBE_9uCk

Adriano Augusto

Cool that you reached planche leans, it is a real teacher of many things.

As for your attempt, your hips are too low, like sunk. You have to raise them not too much but definitely more. For this reason (low hips) you lose protraction along the set. Don't do long holds until you have perfect form. And don't care about the lean, focus your attention in the upper back instead and reach more lean over time but with perfect form.

Good luck

-MR

*Exactly* what Adriano said. Your hips are sagging a little and it looks like you may be lacking in posterior pelvic tilt. Fix that without piking too much and then fix your scapular protraction and depression.

 

You're looking solid though so don't get discouraged.

 

M

Mark Schoenhard

To add to the good advice of Adriano and MR, I see that you are breathing from your belly.  Contract the lower abdominals to help assist PPT and shoulder protraction.  You will then be breathing from the diaphragm with little breathes in and out of the nose.  

Richard Sassoon

Thanks for the good advice everyone! I was thinking too much not to pike that I ended up sinking my hips... just have to find the balance there. I will work on it next training and keep focus on perfect form for shorter holds. I know this is one that takes quite some time to get it right :)

I though I had my breathing more under control but it is definitely not.

All right! back to the writing board!

Richard Sassoon

Hei guys,

after 1 week and 2 sessions I think my form looks better, should I keep improving on it? I mean, keeping the form how it is now with the hips and keep working on the protraction, before adding time and improving the lean. The breathing still needs more work I think...

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLACju-nrbU

Nash

Hey Richard,

 

This looks much better than the first one for sure. But it's hard to tell how your protraction is from this angle. Can you raise the camera so we can see your scapulae.

Nash

Hm, I'm really no expert in this, you should take the experienced guys' advice (Adriano & co), but from what I can see, it seems like protraction is lacking.

 

The reason I say that is because at the point where you stop the movement, your protraction isn't changing. You should almost have a mini dome between your scapulae and when you stop, it should go. In the video, I'm unable to see it.

Richard Sassoon

Thanks Nash. I will focus more on keeping that mini dome all the way until I stop. I see that I lose protraction with time, so hopefully my endurance improves each session :)

Alessandro Mainente

My impressione is that you can depress more the scapulas. there is not strong connection from upper body and lower body without lower traps activation. so there is not strong planche without lower traps activation.

Nash

I think this is much better protraction than before. I also noticed you had to lean less than in the other videos in order to protract more.

 

Alex, to activate his traps, he'll need to depress shoulders a bit more, yes?