This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS PE2/im. Help!

Started by RossyL, September 27, 2014 · 7 Replies · 161 Views

RossyL

I am massively struggling on this. Even with an empty broom i cannot get to shoulder height, and this is with a wide grip. Am i better off with some weight as opposed to none?

Also, What are peoples thoughts on FL PE2/im being extremely beneficial for my difficulty with the HS IM, as they seem to put the shoulders in a similar position. I'm unsure whether this is a mobility or strength issue i have.

I'd be extremely greatful for any of your suggestions.

Cheers people.

Alessandro Mainente

Can you post a video? how wide is you grip now?

Krel

Are you retracting & depressing your scapula ?

Unbending

I don't think the FL PE2>im can help much with the HS im. I always did the table pose daily as part of my yoga routine for several years and it didn't help with my ROM for HS PE2>im when I started. I can eventually achieve full ROM for HS PE2>im and the ones that help me was:

- Kept doing the im every 2 days. The ROM would improve but it will take time. Start with empty bar and wide grip.

- I sometime used light dumbell (<5lbs) and did the im one arm at a time.

- Doing this pose might also help, especially with weighted bar (but start with empty bar): img.breakingmuscle.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/full_width/images/bydate/20130806/shutterstock133085567.jpg

- Regular foam roller stretching might also help.

RossyL

As wide as a normal broom, so pretty wide. I'll try and get a video up.

Krel, i don't think i am. I'm just doing my best to get my arms up without thinking too much of whats going on at my shoulder blades

TANSTAAFL

You need weight. 3-5lbs to start with or you will not be recruiting the correct muscles. Go as wide and as high as you can with the weight on it and do the micro cycles. You don't need full ROM to start out, just go as far as comfortable and it should increase in time. You can use tape to mark where your hands are (or the end of the stick in your case) and then move very small increments in for each micro or even every other micro. The tape helps your brain register actual progress, no matter how small, so you will get the proper mental recruitment as well.

 

As others have said too, post a video. There is also a chance something is very wrong that you can't see yourself...I know I've been on that end of the stick plenty myself.

Murray Truelove

If you look through the H1 forum you'll see loads of posts on this IM. It's with taking the time to look though them.

KibboKift

May I suggest a longer dowel?

 

A typical broomstick will be about 120cm, whilst I'm finding I need to start with something almost 140cm long. I'm using an empty barbell; weighs about 2kg. As long as you are capable of lifting your arms to horizontal whilst moving them to any degree behind your back, you will be able to find a starting point. If you find the dowel is touching your back, make every effort to prevent this while maintaining the same height.

 

I agree with the advice given by the other posters except for that about tables. It's not so simple as to say that proficiency at tables won't carry over to this iM. If your table sucks, then you're really going to struggle with this, since you need to exhibit the same ROM in shoulder extension, but under greater load. If you have mastered tables, at least it shows that you can hold that ROM under some load and it's just your strength which needs work.

 

If you're tables are anything like mine, you will notice that however hard you try you cannot extend your thoracic spine in that position, even though everything else might be in the right place. This would be an indication of insufficient shoulder extension (possibly combined with poor thoracic mobility). That said, even though I've been working tables for months on end, I haven't seen a massive improvement in ROM. I think it's more likely that HS PE2 iM would improve my table rather than the other way round.

 

I don't have a magic bullet, but I am seeing gradual improvement. Here's what I'm doing:

- Keep working tables and HS PE2 iM with the best ROM I can muster, but stressing good form.

- Supported german hangs, focussing on a flat back.

- Pec and anterior delt stretching and rolling.