This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Holy hbp pe3 batman.....

Started by ausswe, September 26, 2014 · 11 Replies · 598 Views

ausswe

Hej everyone,

So I moved on to hbp pe3 ( finAly.... That pe2 constantly kicked my ass in the final cycle) anyway decided I don't want to pass mastery with a mere hand at bottom of rib cage like I believe is the minimum to move on so I put my hands around my belly button/hips. WTH! This is insanely hard. I feel like I don't even know how to activate the muscles properly... I'm not that weak I thought but this is a new beast entirely. Managed 2 reps for a few sets which I'm sure weren't that clean so I'm going to film next time and see what it looks like.

I just can't believe the hug difference in strength between this and hbp pe2. Really looking forward to seeing beast gains in strength once this is mastered. I honestly feel that with this mastered at the hips that the spl se Im will be no big deal.

Question: has everyone who has passed hbp pe3 done it with the palm of their hands at their hips? Or have you just gone for the minimum requirement of below rib cage?

P.s. I have bad wrists so have been doing this exercise with a 90 degree turnout of the hands to the side.

Cheers

Sensei JP

I have been doing these for three months now.  They are tough, but not as bad as many people make them out to be.  That said, I started with only minimal lean, and each month I've increased it, just working the second-month cycle, focusing on form over everything else.  I am now roughly halfway between ribcage and hips.  My plan is, now that I've hit this, to build up to mastery level and move on, but to keep this in my warm-up and continue to improve it from there.

 

Also, during my martial-arts classes, I've swapped PPP for regular pushups, so I get extra practice, grease-the-groove style every week.  This has helped me get the form faster, I think.  

 

As for form, the most important cue, IMO, is push straight up.  The tendency is to push up and away, which is much easier.  By putting something on the ground right at eye level helps make sure you go straight up, getting most benefit.  For my hand position, my thumbs point straight ahead, with my fingers off at a 45 degree angle.  Turning them out more makes them harder, at least for me, though admittedly there's less pressure on the wrists.  Actually, I make sure to do the H1 wrist warmup stretches before every session, just as a precaution.

ausswe

I also do the h1 wrist stuff before each foundation session in General makes a world of difference and I agree having my hands at 90 degrees is harder than fingers forwards but fingers forwards puts too much strain on my wrists at the moment thanks to the construction work I've been doing.

I'm wondering if I should continue my goal of mastering at the hips before moving on or do as you are and just master below the rib cage and move on while keeping a set in the warm up for improvement.

My main problem is when I push up my body moves forward slightly I think because by pushing my arms straight up my feet have to slide forward slightly so the line stays straight other wise your body will form a slight arc backwards while pushing up without your feet moving at all.

Anyway it is am incredible feeling this exercise and I feel like superman doing them at the hips....

Would like to know from more people who have passed this exercises where their hands were for mastery and how they have gone in later progressions.

Cheers

trw

Be careful, if your feet move forward as you push up it might be because you've been unwittingly sliding back on the way down to make the movement easier.

KibboKift

Just curious ausswe - why would you decide to hold yourself to a higher standard than the mastery requirement for this particular exercise? I would have thought if it were beneficial to work up to mastery with hands at hip level rather than moving on to the dip progressions, then that is what Coach would have stipulated. Have you tried to go beyond the mastery requirement for anything else?

Jeremy Huston

Why go beyond the mastery requirement for these before moving on to PE4?  At 3 months per PE, you have a couple years doing dips and planche leans before you will need your hands by the hips.  You can keep PPP in your warmup and gradually work on that ROM as your strength increases.

ausswe

With a lot of ims hhe wight indicated says 5-10 lbs, so at 5 lbs you can move on but ims ute coach would make you do it with 10lbs before you move on if he was training you. the same goes for ppp I imagine mastery is bottom of rib cage - hips

. Also I am trying to get info from others who have moved on after mastery with hands just below rib age and see how they did in later progressions especially spl se Im because I think doing ppp properly with hands at hips which has always been the true standard will have huge carry over to the spl Im in f2.

ausswe

Which part of this reminded you about the graph? The op or a later post?

Also later started I know you are in the spl se ATM so I was curious where your hand placement for hbp pe3 mastery was.

LateStarter@46

Your post on 'the true standard' above reminded me - in that even with the best intentions failure will happen and that (failing) was a good thing as it helps you on your path to success.

 

My current hand placement for HBP PE3 is higher (end of ribs) than my hand placement for sPL SE1 iM (hip bone at bottom of waist).

 

[Note. I say 'current' as the lean is being increased by doing HBP PE3 in my warm ups every week]

VegVeg

What really helped me with the PPP was... Moving on to the more advanced HBP progressions.

I always kept PPP in the warm up tho, doing 8 reps striving for perfection.

 

Just my experience tho.

ausswe

Well I completed week 3 (4x3) hands around belly button/hips and week 5 (4x4) is definitely within my grasp so maybe I'll just continue training with my hands here until I stall out for too long and give mastery with hands below rib cage a go and if I pass then I'll move on.

I've noticed with hbp pe3 I use my chest a lot more where as with hbp pe2 it was all delts and triceps.

Cheers for the responses.