Pain in left hand doing adv. frogstands

Started by jegan17, June 25, 2009 · 5 Replies · 2,655 Views

jegan17

Hey all,

Just started this earlier this month. I've been following the 10 reps of 6 second holds on the planche progression. Right now I am at advanced frog stands.

I am getting this weird pain in my left hand and don't know why. The pain is in the palm of my left hand between my pinkie/ring finger joint and my wrist.

I have never had pain here before.

My workout frequency is about 4-5 times per week. Should I back off or what? any suggestions?

ajhoover

Hey jegan,

I went through something very similar when I began straitining my arms in the frog stand. Strait arms put more pressure on the wrists and requires more wrist strength and flexability. Stretching the wrists every day is a good idea if you are going to spend a good amount of time on your hands. I found wrist push - ups to be imensely helpful in maintaing wrist strength and health. As far as the pain, use your best judgement. If it really hurts than back off and move to a less intense schedule or take some time off all together.

Andrew

jegan17

awesome, thanks for the advice.

do you know of any specific wrist exercises that would help?

Right now all I know of are:

1. putting your arm out straight w/ the elbow facing away from your body, then pulling your hand down with your other hand.

2. putting your arm out straight w/ the elbow facing downward, then pulling your fingers back towards your elbow with your other hand.

any other hand/wrist stretches will be appreciated.

Coach Sommer

These will help to get you started; Wrist Pushups

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

jegan17

haha, this is really random.

first of all, thanks for the wrist pushup exercises. i've been incorporating them but i have to do them on my knees and then prop myself up when the pain gets too strong. maybe i'm not doing them right.

second of all, i think my wrists are def. getting stronger. yesterday I went bowling and I scored a personal high of 190 and then 180 while my previous record was about 160. And I bowl like three times a year.

I think this is definitely because of my increased wrist strength (and possibly a little luck).

Richard Duelley
jegan17 said:
haha, this is really random.

first of all, thanks for the wrist pushup exercises. i've been incorporating them but i have to do them on my knees and then prop myself up when the pain gets too strong. maybe i'm not doing them right.

second of all, i think my wrists are def. getting stronger. yesterday I went bowling and I scored a personal high of 190 and then 180 while my previous record was about 160. And I bowl like three times a year.

I think this is definitely because of my increased wrist strength (and possibly a little luck).

Another random thing about bowling. I taught my dad the general wrist strength/stretching series as well as some simple exercises on the paralletes I built him (like tuck sits and pushups) and he commented to me a few weeks ago that his wrists and forearms do not get as fatigued as they used to after a night of bowling. :mrgreen: He also said he was getting a lot more pop out his shots (ie increase speed and rotation). He bowls 3 nights a week, at least, and is thinking about getting into the Senior PBA!

The wrist push ups/series really works, even if you dont have any current wrist issues its a great prehab movement. 8)