This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question about the Wrist exercises

Started by Bruno Cochofel, September 25, 2014 · 12 Replies · 586 Views

Bruno Cochofel

Hi, about the wrist pushups exercises (rocks, finger, first knuckle and pushups) using the 5r template can we do like a "circuit series" with 5r of the wrist pushups followed by 5r of first knuckle pushups, then 5r wrist rocks, then fingertip pushups, and after that go for the second set?

 

What's the rest time?

 

Thanks,

Bruno

Jeremy Huston

I hope so since that's what I do :)  I found that switching the order a bit works well -- WP, WR, FKP, FP -- less switching of the direction the hand faces.

 

Rest as long as you need to.  The wrist work shouldn't be at a real intense level, so a 30 second break should be enough.  Although by the time you get to 5x5 of all PE4's...and its the day after doing planks in foundation...this is a tough workout for your core.

Alex Tansel

I was curious about this as well because I don't feel this is very clear unless I missed the explanation. 

If it is not meant to be in circuit then are you meant to rest between each of the 5x5, if so for how long as there is no iM variant to use in the rests.

Also for the fingertip push ups do they have to be done on a soft surface as I find there is a big difference in my finger length so I always just end up on my middle finger.

Edoardo Cagnola

Your HS workout should look like this:

-First you do the 4 wrists stretches back to back

-Then you do all your prescribed sets for wrist push ups. I usually take 15-30 sec rest between sets. After that you go ahead and do your sets for wrists rocks, and so on (check the right order of these exercises on the course, I don't remember it now).

-Finally you do your handstand PE and iM as you would in Foundation

Hope this helps :)

Ps: I personally do the wrists exercises on a mat

Guest

@Edstand, don't forget lower level PE/SE's and iM's.

geoguy

If I could ask a few questions here, one would be how much weight is applied to the pushups by leaning into the wall.  It looks on the video as though they aren't leaning in at all.  I'm assuming it's best to pick a resistance level and then keep that standard while doing the progressions each week so that it is only the progressions (reps x sets) that are increasing load?

 

Thanks for the good info here about the reps and sets.  I was doing a giant super set, as all of my sets were just one rep, and I wasn't sure what to do with that :)  Which brings me to my next question:

 

Is there, like the foundation course, an initial assessment for deciding what level I start with in the handstand unit?  My program was built for me after doing that foundation assessment, but the wrist pushups and stretches seem to under-work me.

 

Thanks!  Great forum with cheerful members.  What a refreshing change from other sports forums.

geoguy

Another question I have about the wrist pushups, and all of the foundation and handstand exercises as a whole, is what constitutes one repetition.  For example, with the windmills for the shoulders, are ten reps actually 5 per side or is one full rep the left side and then the right, for a totally of 10 per side?

Jeremy Huston

For the wrist exercises, for PE1 and SE1, it really isn't much weight.  The movements are surprisingly hard enough without the extra weight.

 

For the wrist exercises, attempt mastery for PE1.  If you can do mastery, test for PE2 mastery.  Continue this until you don't achieve mastery.  Then follow the template for that exercises to determine where to start.  Personally, I recommend being very conservative in this and starting with something that still feels pretty easy.  Unless you've been specifically training your wrists, you're asking for trouble throwing heavy volume at them quickly.  Besides, there are only 8 wrist exercises, so you're going to be done with them long before the rest of the handstand program, so there's no need to hurry.

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Hi, I have a question about wrist exercises too, as I find this extremelly confusig exercise.

Despite an exercise you choose out of those 4 wrist exercises, how much weight you should put on wrists? Like lets take WP PE4. If I keep my body straight and rigid it puts a lot of pressure to the wrists, especially the second part, to get back up on my fist. But if I shift my weight to the side even a little bit it gets much easier to get back up on a fist. So how is it exactly?

Joshua Slocum

Try doing SE1. If the way you're doing PE4 is harder than SE1, you're using too much weight :)

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Haha, it's 20 times harder.

So I have to stop doing exercise which is that much harder for me and move back to an easier variaton, is that right?

Luzian

What is one supposed to do when the wrist exercises at SE4 level are mastered but the freestanding handstand is still in the PE range? Are there new wrist exercises in H2 or should one just stay in the last 4 week cycle of the H1 wrist exercises until H1 is completely done?

Joshua Slocum
Vytautas Pilkauskas said:

Haha, it's 20 times harder.

So I have to stop doing exercise which is that much harder for me and move back to an easier variaton, is that right?

Well if you can do the easier variation, then just master it and move on. No sense spending time doing something that's too easy for you!

 

Luzian said:

What is one supposed to do when the wrist exercises at SE4 level are mastered but the freestanding handstand is still in the PE range? Are there new wrist exercises in H2 or should one just stay in the last 4 week cycle of the H1 wrist exercises until H1 is completely done?

Just do a set of 1x10 of the wrist exercises you mastered as part of your warmup.

 

If you like, you can continue making the exercises harder. You can make them harder by bending your elbows, or with a slow tempo, or with elevated feet.