This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hip clunk

Started by Vikas Agartha, September 24, 2014 · 6 Replies · 241 Views

Vikas Agartha

Been working on my hip mobility along with foundation. Frog stretches seem to be helping a ton. I tried some fire hydrants to work on moving in the new ranges, and I notice that my right hip clicks/pops every time. No pain, simply a noise. Should I be concerned? Will it disappear with time?

As background, my right hip has always been far more inflexible than my left. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

6_Impossible_Things

Hi,

I have seen a physio for something similar in that past. It could potentially be a very tight hip flexor that's popping over and off your hip. I still have a series of mobility exercises filed away for this.

The majority of these were glute and core strength (foundation will have you covered here) just throw in a couple of hip flexor stretches and see if that helps.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/?s=Hip+flexor

Excuse the mess of a post am on a phone.

Alexander Egebak
Vikas Agartha said:

Been working on my hip mobility along with foundation. Frog stretches seem to be helping a ton. I tried some fire hydrants to work on moving in the new ranges, and I notice that my right hip clicks/pops every time. No pain, simply a noise. Should I be concerned? Will it disappear with time?

As background, my right hip has always been far more inflexible than my left. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Would like to know this to. Whenever I go into a straddle position that requires strength (straddle ups) my right hip clunks the first time. If it does not clunk I feel like it hinders my movement and I need to warm up really good or to make it clunk in order to continue with good form.

Mark Collins

For some reason this is common. As long as there is no pain other than a weird feeling it is no problem.

It is the femoral head not sitting in the centre of the socket. You are feeling the femoral head moving and making a clunking or clicking noise.

Alexander Egebak
Mark Collins said:

For some reason this is common. As long as there is no pain other than a weird feeling it is no problem.

It is the femoral head not sitting in the centre of the socket. You are feeling the femoral head moving and making a clunking or clicking noise.

How do we put the femoral head back into its socket? Just by strengthening the position?

Mark Collins

It depends on why the femoral head is not sitting in its correct position. It could be anything from tight muscles, stiff hip, lumbar and sacroiliac joints, poor muscle timing and an overal lack of strength.

Unfortunately there is no one answer and it depends on the person. I wish it was a simple answer.

Alexander Egebak

Thank you, it seems like it will most likely correct itself in time.