This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE5...Moving on?

Started by Milkman, September 23, 2014 · 10 Replies · 416 Views

Milkman

I have the HS/PE5 down for the prescribed 5x30s and I can do the dislocates with a weighted bar.  However, on the dislocates, I cannot do them with or without weight at a distance of one fist distance outside my hips, do I stay here until I can do the dislocates at that width?

 

I'm not sure where I picked up that one fist distance outside the hips is the correct width, but somewhere I did.  For what it is worth, I cannot do the dislocates at such a width even with a dowel.  Further, it mentions on the video, to "not be concerned if the range of motion does not match that of the video", so I'm a bit confused.  

ausswe

Don't move on until distance between hands is one hand width on either side like you read previously. Once you achieve that distance with 5-10 lbs move on but it is recommended to keep the dislocates and work the weight up slowly to at least 20lbs.

Duff
Milkman said:

Further, it mentions on the video, to "not be concerned if the range of motion does not match that of the video at first", so I'm a bit confused.  

Stay with dislocates, slowly work your way to shoulder width + one hand width on each side. Start with at least a little bit of weight. I drew lines on my dowel to measure my progress.

Ravn

Yes, it is shoulder width + one fist each side, not hip width + fist.

Romain
Ravn said:

Yes, it is shoulder width + one fist each side, not hip width + fist.

Hi, I have a question : Are dislocates attainable for everyone ?

 

I have some pains (and cracking noises) in my right shoulder since quite a long time which prevents me from progressing at PE5/im.

I decided to go to a doctor and I had my first meeting with a physiotherapist this morning. Apparently my trapezius muscle is way more developped than my Serratus anterior which results in some imbalance around my right scapula.

 

I explained what kind of exercises I was doing and the physiotherapist was really annoyed by the dislocate part... She wants to take some time to study the GST program and come back to me in a week or so with some corrective exercise.

(Note : I live in a rural area and they are mostly dealing with sedentary people, not "athletes").

Ravn
MrBrator said:

Hi, I have a question : Are dislocates attainable for everyone ?

 

I have some pains (and cracking noises) in my right shoulder since quite a long time which prevents me from progressing at PE5/im.

I decided to go to a doctor and I had my first meeting with a physiotherapist this morning. Apparently my trapezius muscle is way more developped than my Serratus anterior which results in some imbalance around my right scapula.

 

I explained what kind of exercises I was doing and the physiotherapist was really annoyed by the dislocate part... She wants to take some time to study the GST program and come back to me in a week or so with some corrective exercise.

(Note : I live in a rural area and they are mostly dealing with sedentary people, not "athletes").

I think it is attainable. My shoulder's been dislocated for real, which led to a torn labrum (Bankart Lesion). I had it fixed with surgery, which took away a lot of ROM. The process of doing dislocates has been slow and ardous for me, but I'm actually at mastery width now, albeit only for the last few reps of 5x5. If I can do it, most people should be able to.

Romain

Ok, thanks for sharing your experience Ravn !

Richard Sassoon
Ravn said:

Yes, it is shoulder width + one fist each side, not hip width + fist.

Can we translate that to hip width + 2 fists? It's easier for me haha

NoHiddenCosts

For reference, "shoulder width" means hands at the same position as the shoulder muscles (therefore arms parallel), right? Not hands at the edge of the lateral deltoid?

Bro'

I think it means hands at the edge of deltoids. So that plus one hand width is not really parallel.

Nick Roy

Just for clarification of any future mobility elements. Coach says "not be concerned if the range of motion does not match that of the video (at first)". He's saying regular work with the mobility over time will allow you to reach the same mobility as the video athlete and not to force it, because mobility is not the same as strength training. So don't move on until you can mirror the video