This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP dips on rings

Started by Helgi, September 22, 2014 · 6 Replies · 264 Views

Helgi

I am currently on F1 and saw that I will start doing dips at some point. These are shown on parallel bars but I only have rings.

 

I have read that eventually I will reach korean dips and will therefore need a bar eventually.

 

However, have people used rings for the first progressions of dips when it's possible?

Jeremy Huston

You won't want to use rings for these dips.  Ring dips would be a huge jump in difficulty & intensity and therefore either stalled progress or injury.

 

Dips can be done off the backs of a couple chairs.

Sensei JP

I've wondered about this.  I've been doing ring dips for about nine months before I started F1.  It started off really hard, but over the months I've built up reps and sets with full range of motion.  I usually do 3x8, so I imagine I could hit mastery standard of 5x5 fairly quickly.  The total volume is nearly identical.

 

Basically, what changes or what advantages are there to doing dips with parallel bars over rings?  Does it build up more or different stabilizers or ...?  I ask mostly because setting up chairs as a parallel bar substitute is a pain.  The chairs I have available fall over easily, so I have to find and drag two big counter-weights onto the chairs and then drag them away when I'm done.  If I could avoid that hassle and just use my rings that would be great.

Helgi

I'm in basically the same situation as you JP.

 

I've done ring dips before and have done them in sets of 3x6 but all the chairs I have are pretty crappy to use for dips.

 

I am sure I will move slower if I use the rings since dips are harder there, but I'm willing to sacrifice speed if I can just use my rings for this.

Jeremy Huston
Sensei JP said:

 

Basically, what changes or what advantages are there to doing dips with parallel bars over rings?  Does it build up more or different stabilizers or ...?  

PBar dips are easier and use less stabilizers.  The advantage is that they're more accessible to a dip-beginner.  With your ring dip strength, I suspect you will fly through the 5x5x10s negatives and 5x5 dips if your mobility is also good.  You're then done with F1 HBP.

Rayne-William

You may think you can handle ring dips, but they are a lot harder than you think they are. 

 

Try doing ring dips while holding your torso upright. When you reach the top position of the dip keep pushing until you have fully depressed your scapula. When you get to very top position rotate your rings outward at least 90 degrees.

Murray Truelove

There are a lot of dips through F1-4 you'll need to find something to dip on sooner or later.