I have been moving through the programme quite nicely and have just progressed to straddle planche SE1. Frog stand all good...then I looked at the iM!!!! How on earth??? Any tips to save me face planting...can't even begin to imagine how I get there!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
sPL/SE1 iM How on Earth?!?
Started by surfboard, September 22, 2014 · 15 Replies · 742 Views
what
My warmup used to have PPP in it, but in preparation of someday getting to sPL/SE1, I modified it. I am now doing a Straddle PPP where I roll/lean/hop my legs up off the ground in the bottom position.
same here, instead of the iM i try to hold the bottom position of pseudo planche push ups for the 10s and lean forward as far as possible. works same muscles and its really close to the iM, instead of the legs in the air. maybe i increase to 5x15 secs to get more volume in ppp bottom position to move on
im no where near here im at spl/pe5 but yea that element seems very diffcult ive tried to do it i cant hold it all.
Where are you on HBP? I was exactly where you are now, just a few months ago, but then I spent some time on Korean dips. This seemed to help a lot, and when I tested my strength on the SPl SE1 im, I was able to hold a somewhat piked version for 5-6 seconds. I then experimented with supporting part of my bodyweight with an elastic band under my hips and this seemed to be a good intermediate excercise.
I feel you, dude! Please see my first post here:
https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/15417-splse1-im/
It seemed impossible the few times I tried it out before I got there, and the first few sessions working on it seemed like it would take forever, and yet... within a few weeks I suddenly mastered it. Have gone back again to tweaking the form. So many small tweaks make sucha huge difference with this one, really seems to be a complex skill. Almost every week I seem to "get" a new cue about it.
Use the Search function and you'll find a few threads on this one. Face planting will help you find that balance point faster :-)
Tip: If you're not accustomed to this load on your shoulders (my guess is that you're not), build volume very slowly, don't attempt the full ten seconds straight away. Do half of what you're capable of for four-eight weeks, or you might strain your shoulders. I developed some sort of twinge under/on the scapula, and had to ease off for a bit, because I was rushing it.
Thanks Kasper,
I came up with the band idea as well which works. A very useful tool
Thanks William
Also a top tip
My progress in the other moves is: FL/PE4, SL/PE2, MN/PE3, SLS/SE2, HBP/PE3 and RC/PE6. I guess I may have to catch up some strength through the HBP progressions before I can get this one. Meanwhile I have implemented a band strategy (strangely came up with that one earlier on the day to you posting Kasper) to help support my legs, and will also try holding the bottom position of pseudo planche push ups. Thanks Hamdi will check that out.
Steven Hope said:My progress in the other moves is: FL/PE4, SL/PE2, MN/PE3, SLS/SE2, HBP/PE3 and RC/PE6. I guess I may have to catch up some strength through the HBP progressions before I can get this one.
I'm surprised that your HBP is lagging so far behind your sPL. Maybe that's just because I'm having the opposite experience
I guess it goes to show that we each have our different strengths and weaknesses.
In effort to work towards a progression that is to hard for you, then logically you need to either increase mechanical leverage or decrease weight resistance. In this case, it's increasing leverage, BUT you also want to try and mimick the real movement as much as possible without any external aid...by using bands, you inadvertently change the way your brain percieves the mass of your body. This will become detrimental to over all strength, connective tissue conditioning and balance. The pseudo push up is a great variation to work on for shoulder and upper back strength, but it doesn't account for lower back and glute strength needed to hold the legs in the air.
Therefore, I suggest the following:
1) Assume the PPP position but elevate you feet not to completely horizontal (parrallel to the floor) but so that your legs are inline with your body in the bottom position ( a beer crate is ideal).
2) Start buy working towards 3 x 10 PPP's with both feet elevated on the box.
3) Once this is achieved, lift one leg off the box into the position where it matches the SE1/IM. Cueing maximum hip extension and around 90 degrees (ish) of knee flexion. Work these for 3x10 Pseuso push ups.
4) Once this has been accomplished you should be fairly familiar with the position of where the balance point is in order to lift your both feet off the box.
I found this really helped with mastering Spl/SE1 IM
cheers all
HumanBIOS said:In effort to work towards a progression that is to hard for you, then logically you need to either increase mechanical leverage or decrease weight resistance. In this case, it's increasing leverage, BUT you also want to try and mimick the real movement as much as possible without any external aid...by using bands, you inadvertently change the way your brain percieves the mass of your body. This will become detrimental to over all strength, connective tissue conditioning and balance. The pseudo push up is a great variation to work on for shoulder and upper back strength, but it doesn't account for lower back and glute strength needed to hold the legs in the air.
Therefore, I suggest the following:
1) Assume the PPP position but elevate you feet not to completely horizontal (parrallel to the floor) but so that your legs are inline with your body in the bottom position ( a beer crate is ideal).
2) Start buy working towards 3 x 10 PPP's with both feet elevated on the box.
3) Once this is achieved, lift one leg off the box into the position where it matches the SE1/IM. Cueing maximum hip extension and around 90 degrees (ish) of knee flexion. Work these for 3x10 Pseuso push ups.
4) Once this has been accomplished you should be fairly familiar with the position of where the balance point is in order to lift your both feet off the box.
I found this really helped with mastering Spl/SE1 IM
cheers all
I will give this a try! thanks for the inspiration
you suggest 3x10 before moving on, but e.g. there are 5 sets of frog stand, i have to do 5 sets of those ppps too. i will try 5x5 so far, should be enough volume still, i know frog stand isnt that hard^^