This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How to progress with the Straddle Up

Started by Cameron Williams (Suspect 001), September 19, 2014 · 10 Replies · 545 Views

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Hi there,

 

Just wondering what's the best way to progress through the straddle up, since I don't currently have full ROM.

 

Should I work through to week 11 with limited ROM, or should I stay at earlier weeks and only progress when my ROM is better?

 

Suggestions?

 

Thanks!

 

Cam

m6shifter

work weeks 5 through 8 and put in loop mode..

Sensei JP

I tried starting on Week 5 but it didn't work for me.  Instead I have done the following.

 

1. Focused on the first cycle, Weeks1-4, trying to do quality reps.  Using as little momentum as possible, and holding the top position for several seconds.

2. Still doing Tuck Ups.  I mean, doing only 3x3 Straddle ups barely felt like a workout, so I added 10 or so Tuck Ups after every set.  This seemed to help me get the balance point quicker; at the very least, I toppled over backwards less once I started doing more Tuck Ups.

 

I did this combo for six weeks, and it seems to be working.  I rarely cramp when holding the top position now, the rolling up motion is smoother, needing little to no momentum when fresh, balance has improved and I think I'm getting closer to acceptable ROM.  I've moved onto the Week 5-8 cycle and it seems much easier than when I first tried it.

 

I should point out, perhaps as a warning, that I'm fairly flexible: close to the splits and I can put my head on the ground in the pancake.  My initial active flexibility for this exercise, though, wasn't great, but has improved slowly but surely since I've started.

Murray Truelove

I've been doing 5x6r for months now and made loads of progress. My toe touch has gone from just past my knees to nearly my toes thanks to Jefferson curls.

It's a really tough PE/IM but hard work has lead progress every week.

I'm really trying to improve my mobility before worrying about strength.

Cole Dano

We had good success doing a tuck-straddle variation.

 

Come up like a normal tuck-up - open legs to straddle - back to tuck - go down

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Thanks everyone - all of your answers have been very helpful :)

 

One question Cole - for the tuck-straddle variation, do I keep my hands out to the sides?

Cole Dano

just switch them to between the legs and back

Edoardo Cagnola

I'll take advantage of this post. I'm also struggling with achieving full ROM on this due to flexibility restrictions. I'm doing kind of a straddle stretch everyday, but it doesn't seems to work and I honestly don't know if what I'm doing actually makes any sense. Do you know some stretches/ mobility exercises that could help me better my ROM over the next few months? Thanks :)

Adriano Augusto

IMO after mastered this exercise, the Mastery requires simple things:

 

1 - Stretching. A lot. Primarily on active flexibility drills. Of course, take care of your passive flexibility but active flexibility is the key here.

 

2 - Build good quality reps doing loops from week 1 to week 4. 

 

3 - When you've the form and a good straddle up, increasing volume and endurance.

 

You've a good time to improve your pike flexibility with Jefferson Curl aswell which you will need on stall bars later on MN progressions.

 

The key is active flexibility. A looooooooot.

Edoardo Cagnola

Thanks, this will be really helpful :)

What kind of stretches did you focus on?