on my stall bars my back ,glutes and parts of legs barely touch the rungs during dead hangs. Is this fine to do like this. I might add another extended piece at the top so I can do a hang with no part of body touching.
stall bar dead hangs
Started by m6shifter, September 19, 2014 · 4 Replies · 2,659 Views
My stall bars have the top rung which sticks out a few inches over the other ones, and I do dead hangs very frequently on them, so my answer is that it is fine if you have the top rung added. I realize you currently do not but are thinking of adding it, and I would encourage you to add it because it is integral to a whole host of other moves besides dead hangs.
In fact, for one arm hanging work I prefer stall bars to a bar because if you twist too much you hit the rest of the frame, so it is very effective at helping you build up your anti-rotation strength and ingraining good habits. The wood also is tougher on the grip you so you get a pretty good grip workout going.
However, I realize that while your body may be barely touching the bars, I personally would not do dead hangs from them because as you tire you will begin to compensate by adding more pressure to the other rungs with your body than you consciously are aware of.
my top rung is offset from the back rungs but not enough to do free hanging dead hang. I am going to add another rung to the top about 8 or 9 in. from the top rung in front of top rung. I will make that rung removable when not used.
Actually the stall bars are a good assessment of your mobility. If your glutes are coming off then you have some mobility issues int the shoulders and/or the upper back. Try to make a hollow body while hanging from the stall bars and you will probably find a good strong stretch for the lats(don't forget to pull in your ribs to make it stronger)
I added an extension piece to the top of the stall bars. Now I can do free dead hangs and pull-ups with ease. I used a 1 5/8 wood dowel and it's a lot tougher to hang on that than a 1 1/4 bar. I also can slide the top bar in and out anytime I want.