This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

a question about bent hollow rocks (Fl Pe2)

Started by athleticandrey, September 19, 2014 · 8 Replies · 403 Views

athleticandrey

Hi guys,

when I do bent hollow rocks I feel that I roll onto my glutes and my lower back comes off of the floor while in the begining of the rock it's firmly pressed into the floor. Is that a mistake? Should my lower back remain in contact with the floor throughout the entire movement?

Duff

You could be rolling forward too much. Take a video and compare it to the one in the course; or you could post it here if you want.

athleticandrey

I see, I'll do  that but meanwhile am I correct in assuming that the lowerback remains in contact with the floor throughout the whole rocking movement? it seems to me that the athlete in the video  rolls onto his glutes and his lower back comes off the floor when he rocks forward and then when he rocks back he kind of rocks off his lowerback to come up onto his glutes again, but I could be wrong of course.

athleticandrey

maybe I do not rock the whole way to come up onto the glutes but  my tail bone does touch the floor when I rock forward.

athleticandrey

Could anybody please shed some light on the mechanics of hollow body rock? I've been working on this movement for a while but somehow I don't feel that I understand fully what needs to happen during hollow body rock. So any details will be highly appreciated.

Alexander Egebak

Since no one replies.

 

I would guess you either rock too much or need to flatten your back more. Maybe upload a video for us.

Keegan

Definitely post a video of your bHBR.

emilianop
athleticandrey said:

I see, I'll do  that but meanwhile am I correct in assuming that the lowerback remains in contact with the floor throughout the whole rocking movement?

Sort of... (and that's my 2 cents).

 

The point of HBR is to keep the exact shape you have during HBH, only that by rocking back and forth you dynamically increase the load on that part so your core and all the other small muscles here and there need to endure higher tension to keep the shape tight.

Because of this you wouldn't want to rock AND keep your lower back attached to the floor the same way over the whole movement, this doesn't make much sense to me.

You should strive and keep the exact same shape you had during holds, while rocking, so a bit of going on your glutes makes total sense, provided that you don't pike at hips.

 

When I mentally check my form for these I try to keep the distance between my xiphoid process (bottom of the sternum) and pubic symphysis ("top center" of the hips bones) the same. If such distance wobbles back and forth when I rock, then it means I'm losing it.

A more basic check is to always track your lower back and avoid for it to arch, but that's what you should already know, since you've done it for the holds as well.

 

For sure there's more knowledgeable people here that can help you about this, in the meantime I thought I might chime in... hope it makes sense

athleticandrey

Thank you guys!