This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foundation one schedule + gymnastics skills training

Started by csmallwood, September 19, 2014 · 4 Replies · 254 Views

csmallwood

Hello All!

My goal is to improve my gymnastics skills and develop the necessary strength to perform them safely.

I go to two adult gymnastics classes per week: Thursday 20:30-22:30 and Sunday 19:00-21:00. I have a 08:00-17:00 working day.

My question: How should I fit a 4 day foundation one program around this?

Possible solutions:

1. I have tried cutting into my adult classes, by reserving 45 mins for foundation one at the end, but find it hard to give up the time I could be using to learn new skills.

2. Another thought was to go to what I call my 'non-gymnastics gym' from 17:30-18:30 to get the foundation one workout done before going on to adult gymnastics later in the evening. Will this affect my recovery or the safety of my skills session?

3. Lastly, could I not do any strength training on my adult gymnastics class days, fitting in foundation one on the other 5 days of the week.

I am after a consistent program that I can stick to. Any comments from the community would be very much appreciated - you guys are the best!

Jeremy Huston

I would do #3, and mix in a little #1 as needed if your other gym is lacking equipment like stall bars.  You can do Handstand One as part of your warmup for skill work too.  I wouldn't want to go into skill work completely exhausted from a hard strength session.

 

For a 4 day Foundation with Skill, something like:

 

Sun - Skill

Mon - Foundation

Tues - Foundation

Wed - Rest

Thurs - Skill

Fri - Foundation

Sat - Foundation

Cole Dano

Do they do any strength training during the class?

csmallwood

Thanks for the input tex0413: I sometimes do this but find myself getting quite tired on Friday after training so late on Thursday. I could stick to the program below but am worried it doesn't make any sense recovery-wise.

 

Sun - Skill

Mon - Foundation

Tues - Foundation

Wed - Foundation

Thurs - Skill

Fri - Rest

Sat - Foundation

 

In answer to Cole Dano: there is occasionally strength training during the gymnastics class but not always, and it isn't systematic.

Jeremy Huston

Give it a try and see how your body responds.