This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sports hernia

Started by sam, September 19, 2014 · 6 Replies · 268 Views

sam

Well after being a member of these forms for a while now. And searching the fourms for a subject related on a sports hernia, athletic pubalgia, gillimore's  groin, hockey groin, inguinal disruption, or whatever the term may be on this nagging pest of an ailment.

 

I finally decided to bite the bullet and get it "repaired"

 

Well I'm a couple days post op. And I'm going to try to update this so I can document my experience with this here surgery.

Daniel Burnham

Had this done in high school. Not too bad. Don't try hollow holds afterwards! Takes a little while for the abdominal wall to heal up.

Connor

Sam,

Definitely a timely post for me. I am going to see a doctor about an inguinal hernia next week, with the intent of getting patched up soon rather than later. Hope to hear more about your recovery process. I've been making solid progress both strength and mobility wise in the 4 months or so since I started F1, and it's certainly disheartening to have to hit the breaks. It's for the best though.

 

Connor

Travis Watts

I've had 2 right inguinal hernia repairs.  Both happened while in very fit condition.

 

About 2 weeks, to heal to 80%.  However, after 12 years, I'm still not 100%.  Stretching in the lower abdomen will occasionally still produce a scar tearing feeling.  Intimate moments can cause painful discomfort.  Nothing so far, has caused any lasting pain. 

sam

Well . . . my reasons for getting a repair/operation were:

 

I was having slight pain when doing power cleans, jumping, weighted carries and stuff of that sorts.

A while back I had wanted to get into some form of martial arts. So I tried it out a little bit.  And I knew that I was bound to have some lower abdominal pain.

So I finally decided to bite the bullet. The fact the Jadeveon Clowney underwent a successfull sports hernia surgery also helped in me making that decision.

 

Can't really recall when I happened to injury myself.

I've been telling the doctors that I might have hurt myself playing soccer/basketball for so long that it seems to stick now.

I've been living with it for a while now, again to definite injury date.

For the longest time I always thought it was a groin strain or pulled groin which is common among soccer players.

And I would always take a few days off to let it help up. It was actually "diagnosed" as a sports hernia by a coach a few years back and with conservative treatment it wasn't that much of a bother. But back then the only thing I was doing was lifting weights. As I mentioned, now I would like to get into martial arts and hopefully not have to worry about this here pain.

 

Will post later.

 

Thank you everyone for chiming in and sharing their experiences.

Rafa

Sam what ever happened? All is well?

sam

Well still not 100% and never will. I'm actually worse than before. Half my pubic area is numb, the dr. Cut my ilioinguinal nerve. Any weight on or around that area is very painful, more than before I believe. The way I have intercourse has been affected, in not a good way. I initially joked a month or 2 after my surgery that I had a C-section done to only my right side, well I'm not joking anymore, it's permanent and it's going to be there for the rest of my life, as a painful reminder.

As I read my earlier posts, I realize that some of the activities that were bothersome before and definitely off the radar now. If the sports hernia caused me slight pain then, this surgery which is almost a year old causes me more pain now, and this is despite having my nerve cut (which I never asked for) (even though my nerve is cut, it is only numb on the suface, like the top layer or 2 of skin, I can feel constant pain maybe an inch below the surgical site. I didn't have constant pain before, but I do now. The pain would be maybe a 3 or 4 out of 10, its also to the point where I don't even realize there is pain there unless its brought to my attention, I guess neurological speaking its been shut out.)

I can't kick a soccer ball unless I want to be in more pain for a longer time afterwards. I haven't even tried the stuff that I used to do pre surgery, I guess I just don't want to deal with the pain at this point.

If I could take it back, I would in a heartbeat.

But this is only my experience with it, everyone has a different experience and a different doctor.

Off topic but I should add that there is a sports hernia specialist right in my backyard, that people from all over the country fly in to consult with and have had wonderful testimonials to speak of, what a coincidence.

Well at least you know I'm not happy with how things turned out.

Best wishes brother.