This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Structure Vs Function

Started by Sam Deamer, September 18, 2014 · 3 Replies · 336 Views

Sam Deamer

I learned recently that the supraspinatus is a spiral muscle meaning it attaches at one end, twists around and then attaches at the other but just looks like a normal straight, flat muscle in text books. I wondered if the twisting of the arm during windmills is somehow tapping into this structural quality in the rotator-cuff?

 

Are there any other interesting structure/function relationships unique to these movements in GB that aren't so well known?

Coach Sommer

I will lead this discussion off:

- The rotation of side lever pulls also strongly works the rotational strength of the thoracic spine in addition to oblique strength.

- The diaphram is worked quite strongly during exercises requiring a hollow body position.

- The psoas is worked best with bent knee variations; straight leg variations primarily target the hip flexor and rectis femoris.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

emilianop
Sam Deamer said:

I learned recently that the supraspinatus is a spiral muscle meaning it attaches at one end, twists around and then attaches at the other but just looks like a normal straight, flat muscle in text books

It's not so uncommon, the idea of muscles being just long strips of mono-functional meat is quite misleading.

If you take the Pectoralis Major as a whole compound for example, that's another case of twisting fibres:

http://www.natashahayden.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/pectoralis-major.jpg

 

I think the system is so complex, with so many nuances to it (think about how the different tendon/muscle ratios between semimembranosus and semitendinosus are posed to accomplish different functions) that to me, more than knowing all these details (it twists? it bends? whatever) it's much more important to master the secondary effects of drills that normally are not made to target those specific areas and that's why I find  the above post by coach very interesting...

 

Coach, given your huge experience, I'd be interested to hear your opinion about the best way to target areas like minor calves muscles, TFL and adductors of the hip.

Sam Deamer

Thanks for the input coach - very interesting stuff!

 

I also love the little details like how the hinge rows are obviously a rowing movement but also have an external rotation element - kind of like a cuban 'pull' :P