Does everyone prefer the 2 day split or does anyone do all 7 elements in one day?
Jay
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Jay Horley, September 18, 2014 · 18 Replies · 577 Views
Does everyone prefer the 2 day split or does anyone do all 7 elements in one day?
Jay
If you have the handstand course and you have read it, you will find that one solution to combining handstand and foundation is to do full F7 in one day. However every foundation training session is gonna be longer and you may gonna need more recovery. Thus, your ability to recover should determine your preferences over workout structures.
From my experience I am able to do 2 F7 days per week, but I dont have enough free time to do a full F7 workout rigth now and I recover better with 2 day split.
I do the 3 day split out of practicality. I usually workout over my lunch break at work, so I don't have time to do all 7 elements in one day. Also, my gym doesn't have stall bars, so I do exercises that need stall bars or no equipment at home.
I've just moved to doing F7 all in one day. I definitely prefer this as it gives me other days to do handstand, although by the end of it I'm sweating buckets.
You may start with the split, however as Foundation progresses you will need to develop the work capacity to handle F7 as later on all seven of the Foundation elements become the warmup for focused ring strength training.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Coach Sommer said:You may start with the split, however as Foundation progresses you will need to develop the work capacity to handle F7 as later on all seven of the Foundation elements become the warmup for focused ring strength training.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Oh sh*t. Last time i attempted F7 I was destroyed. How would you suggest transitioning to an F7 based schedule? Perhaps start at week 1 for all exercises?
If you are currently struggling with work capacity, perhaps it would be best to first focus on building your strength throughout at least F1 and even perhaps F2. Once you begin F3 is a good time to also begin increasing your work capacity by occasionally including an F7 workout and then by F4 you should be comfortable working F7 on a regular basis.
Check out some of the private forum posts by Jon Douglas for some excellent information regarding training F7 in a single workout.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Ok, thanks!
I think now's a bad time to switch to F7, since I'm working both negative HLL, windshield wipers and negative body levers. I wouldn't be able to progress properly working all three in the same session. I'm usually quite spent in the anterior chain following MN/PE6 :')
Thanks for the advice coach, Jon had listed a few weekly schedules he's tried. Anyway I'm going to try;
Mon/Thur - F7
Tue/Friday - H1 (more elements than previously practiced)
Wed/Sat - Mobility, Stretching and a little movement play I learnt on the seminar last weekend.
Jay Horley said:Thanks for the advice coach, Jon had listed a few weekly schedules he's tried. Anyway I'm going to try;
Mon/Thur - F7
Tue/Friday - H1 (more elements than previously practiced)
Wed/Sat - Mobility, Stretching and a little movement play I learnt on the GB seminar last weekend.
This schedule looks fine, Jay.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
I think I'll switch to F7 but only after advancing enough so that most elements are in the 5x5 template. I usually do the 4 day split with H1 on Tuesday and Friday but occasionally, because of life and stuff, I do F7. And when many exercises are 5x60s it kinda feels like an odyssey (not to mention it takes very long).
How far into Foundation are you Jay? I'm just wondering what the benefits or drawbacks are of beginning Foundation using F7 straight away?
Iain Scott said:How far into Foundation are you Jay? I'm just wondering what the benefits or drawbacks are of beginning Foundation using F7 straight away?
About 6 months in and just over half way through F1 I'd guess. I think it all depends on what you can recover from bud.
My reasons for changing we're I didn't think I was getting a big enough training effect from half of F1 and this also allows me to put more of the elements of H1 into a second day.
How would you rate your progress over those 6 months Jay?
Iain Scott said:How would you rate your progress over those 6 months Jay?
Well! Non-linear but I love achieving the micro goals I set myself. When I started I was doing it 50/50 with weigh lifting, now it's more like 80/20 or even 90/10 in favour of gymnastics bodies, so hoping to hit more of my goals now.
Any problems with a hybrid? I've been doing this for a couple months and it seems to hit a recovery sweet spot.
M: FL, sPL, HBP, RC; HS
TH: MN, SL, SLS; HS
S: F7
I have thought about that too. It would solve the problem of working some exercises more than others.mcneuen said:Any problems with a hybrid? I've been doing this for a couple months and it seems to hit a recovery sweet spot.
M: FL, sPL, HBP, RC; HS
TH: MN, SL, SLS; HS
S: F7
im doing mon FL, SPL, HBP, RC
tues SL, MN, SLS, HS
wed stretching
thurs FL, SPL, HBP, RC, HS
fri SL, MN, SLS, maybe some extras hs
sat/sun play aorund with some other elements maybe some rock climbing