This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SPL/PE1>iM (Swivel Hips) and increasing strength

Started by Joseph Morris, September 17, 2014 · 7 Replies · 339 Views

Joseph Morris

Like many other people here, I think my mastery of SPL/PE1>iM (Swivel Hips) will be stopped by inadequate ROM (internal rotation of the hip); however, SPL/PE1 itself is not too difficult for me. (Not quite there by close.) Rather than just stalling for three months or six months or however long it will take me to get the ROM, I had a thought about progressing further: 

 

1. Run the progression again, this time with backs of toes on the ground (like in PPP, the way Kira does it) rather than toes in a conventional push-up position, so that I'll be better prepared for PE2 once I have the ROM for iM. 

2. Once I have 5x15r with PPP toe position, work up to 2-3 more sets of 15r. This will give me more practice at Swivel Hips after each set.

 

Would appreciate any thoughts. 

Sven Ravnstag

I like doing my scapular pushups in the plantar flexion position you described.  I think it prepares you for planche leans/PPP as you said, and I also find that it seems to assist the other parts of the body with "dropping into place".

 

I think adding volume could be a good idea.  But you could also continue to try and increase the ROM on the scap pushups, even to the point of holding an intense isometric contraction at the top and bottom, attempting to increase ROM even if there isn't much or any additional movement.  I'm inclined to favor perfect execution of an exercise like this over added volume because of how easy it is to cheat, and because of the dramatic effect that a bit of cheating has on difficulty benefit.  

 

Have at the volume on the hip swivels though.  Sometimes I do cheat sets (where the butt comes up off of the ground) separate from my main Foundation training.  Do several cheat reps and then slowly decrease the amount of butt lift and see if the true ROM increases any.

TANSTAAFL

Also you could post a vid of your swivels for crit. Many of us have had luck foam rolling/lacrosse balling glutes/groin/thigh area beforehand. Also weighted stretches in the end ROM position with weight on the outside of the knee. And finally, just do them more throughout the day.

Joseph Morris
Sven Ravnstag said:

But you could also continue to try and increase the ROM on the scap pushups, even to the point of holding an intense isometric contraction at the top and bottom, attempting to increase ROM even if there isn't much or any additional movement.  I'm inclined to favor perfect execution of an exercise like this over added volume because of how easy it is to cheat, and because of the dramatic effect that a bit of cheating has on difficulty benefit.  

 

Good point about the isometric holds or trying for greater ROM. I want not to do this...which means I probably should, haha.

 

TANSTAAFL said:

Also you could post a vid of your swivels for crit. Many of us have had luck foam rolling/lacrosse balling glutes/groin/thigh area beforehand. Also weighted stretches in the end ROM position with weight on the outside of the knee. And finally, just do them more throughout the day.

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't noticed a particular difference between ROM when merely warm, versus ROM after rolling with lax ball and foam roller. I'll keep at it though. I'll have to try the weight.

Sensei JP

I credit my advancement here to using the Hero pose from yoga.  It's basically a kneeling pose, with your knees touching but your ankles and feet far enough apart that you can sit your bum down between them.  When I first tried this some years ago, it was painful, with my bottom nowhere near the floor.  I would sit on (several) pillows and just hold the position for time.  I gained ROM rather quickly, and now I can sit comfortably in this position without the need of a pillow or other prop.

 

I'll also mention that I teach martial arts, and kids can sit in this pose no problem.  They also have no issues with internal hip rotation.  If you do this a few minutes a day, perhaps replacing the way you normally sit, it might help.  Worth a shot if you're struggling, at least.

Joseph Morris
Sensei JP said:

I credit my advancement here to using the Hero pose from yoga.  It's basically a kneeling pose, with your knees touching but your ankles and feet far enough apart that you can sit your bum down between them.  

Interesting. I sometimes sit similarly, with my knees apart, though. That's very easy. With knees touching I feel some opposition (though it feels like more from my quads pressing against each other) and my weight isn't fully on the ground, but all points mentioned are in contact (knees touch, butt on ground). I'll try sitting like this while watching a movie and see if it gets comfortable.

Jay Horley

I think the biggest problem comes from the muscles in the glute mediums area being tight (in a shortend position) because of a general weakness or imbalance in the hip joint. In additions to foam rolling, SLS Pe2/3 will be a big help and also activating the glutes with glute bridges and some of the later Mobilty elements for SPL.

Ian Ross
Jay Horley said:

I think the biggest problem comes from the muscles in the glute mediums area being tight (in a shortend position) because of a general weakness or imbalance in the hip joint. In additions to foam rolling, SLS Pe2/3 will be a big help and also activating the glutes with glute bridges and some of the later Mobilty elements for SPL.

 

The twisting squats (SLS/PE2 iM) are great.  They're a kind of stealth hip flexibility exercise, since you're concentrating so much on getting yourself up off the floor that you don't notice all the hip movement that you're doing.  They feel really good.  I've only been doing F1 for a few weeks, and I too have huge mobility deficits in the hips, but the swivel hips are slowly (SLOWLY!) getting better.  I've been adding some extra mobility work on my days off from F1 to help.  From what everyone else says on the forum, patience seems to be the key.