This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mobility for SLS PE1

Started by Jessica Faber, September 17, 2014 · 2 Replies · 134 Views

Jessica Faber

I'm having trouble with this movement as I do not have the flexibility in my ankles.  I try to spend as much time as i can in a flat footed squat and all throughout the day I'm pressing the bottom of my foot into something but I seem to be getting nowhere.  the lack of mobility is causing me to come up out the squat to soon and makes the movement unstable.  Is there anything else I can do to gain flexibility in this area?

Thanks!

Keegan

Bent leg calf/ankle stretches will have the most carryover for this movement. I personally have had the most success with a low lunge version using my chest to press the knee out over the toes/down towards the foot (the actual motion is an arc not linear but depending on your flexibility it will seem more like a forwards or downwards motion). Try using Contract/Relax (PNF) stretching 1-2 times a week where you are really trying to go beyond your previous ROM and continue doing mobility work/active stretching/less intensive "limbering" the other days of the week.

The other thing that really helps make this movement smooth/doable is maintaining compression/keeping your back round and chest pulled tight to your knees. The better your compression throughout the more it will just feel like rolling backwards from a squat and then rolling forwards into a squat. If on the other hand you allow your knees to come away from your chest it will feel much more "clunky" and disjointed.

Hope that helps.

Jeremy Huston

Give SLS PE1 a try with your back and bottom elevated on a mat and your feet on the ground.

 

Try doing single leg ankle stretches.  I kneel on my left knee and get my right foot/ankle in almost a squat position and then push my weight onto the right foot.

 

A lot of gyms have seated calf raise machines.  This might be a useful apparatus for stretching out your ankles.