femur rotation during hmsh/straddle work

Started by Aaron Prosser, September 16, 2014 · 2 Replies · 1,860 Views

Aaron Prosser

Do you guys pay much attention to internal/external rotation of the femur during while you are at the limit of hip abduction (max straddle). We pay plenty of attention to external rotation of the shoulders, but I am having trouble finding info on hip/knee stability or how/if femur rotation plays a role in achieving maximum abduction.

Are there any guidelines I should know about? I'm spending a lot more time now working HMSH now, and I don't want to bugger my knees or hips.

Thanks!

dmcmanam

Yes externally rotate, both legs.  HMSH?  I'm not going to look up the acronym. 

Aaron Prosser
dmcmanam said:

Yes externally rotate, both legs.  HMSH?  I'm not going to look up the acronym. 

Thanks,

 

perhaps HMSH is a relic from the BtGB book era... Horizontal Middle Split Hold.

 

When stretching, do you try to also stretch external rotation to an increasing level at the same time, or just externally rotate and leave it there?