This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Exercise order and frequency

Started by Nick_Ebner, September 16, 2014 · 6 Replies · 413 Views

Nick_Ebner

Can the order of the exercises be adjusted based on weakest to strongest movements? If so, would it be suggested to do the most lagging ones first and strongest last?

Also, in terms of frequency, let's say I was on a 4 day program and I felt my arch body work needed more frequency, would you suggest I add it in on another day? I noticed things like hollow body and arch body I do better with a higher frequency but moves involving squatting, pushing and pulling twice a week seems optimal.

Thoughts and suggestions?

ForzaCavaliere

Your energy stores get depleted as a workout goes on. <---- obvious. 

 

A corollary to this is that you should therefore place the movements you want to improve in most as your first exercise, and the exercise with least importance to your goals as your last exercise.

 

In regards to frequency, that's entirely up to the individual. Sometimes if progress is lagging, it's better to add an extra day of work for a specific exercise, but in other times it's better to take away a day of work. You have to find that out the optimal combo for yourself.

Nick_Ebner

Right and thanks ForzaCavaliere.  I just didn't know if Coach has some super secret method or reason for doing something that was beyond my scope.  But I assumed all you said, and have been working that way, I just wanted confirmation.  So, thank you.

jules

I would start with the most difficult first, that that you can give it all your got.  But feel free to switch it up and rotate the exercise order every now and again.

Seth Richmond

@Everett Carroll, what are your thoughts on this?  I have the same question as @Nick_Ebner.  I've seen others weigh in on the topic, but i'd like to hear it from a Forum Coach.

Alessandro Mainente

My personal suggestion is core-first. so if we are doing the 4 days split i would do this order:

first day - spl, fl, hbp, rc

second day - mn, sl, sls, hs

third day - rest

repeat for the following day. the reason of this choice is that we are promoting some high quality work when you have high energy store. basically there are no future hbp, rc or hs development without a solid core. priority for a healthy body and less plateau (due to form breaking) is core first. 

Tyson Rogers

I'm doing Foundation 1 with Pro+, is there a method to the order of the exercises as they are presented? 

I've never thought about order, but I know some of the harder exercises for me are at the end of my workout. Maybe I should put them first?

Hmmm, I'd love to hear some other thoughts on this!