This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Everybody's form checks

Started by emilianop, September 16, 2014 · 14 Replies · 334 Views

emilianop

I was thinking if it wouldn't be better/easier to open official topics for each progression's form checks, where people can post their own videos/photos for review, rather than losing everything in the sea of individual particulated posts.

This would be as well a nice way of checking what's considered good or bad against already existing examples rather than browsing through the forum looking for "that video of MN/PE2 that guy posted 10 months ago".

 

Also, this would mean that as soon as you master one drill and go into the next, you can start reading the suggestions existing so far from a single place, this way you get the most of other people's experience (and mistakes) beforehand.

So basically we could have one FL/PE1 thread, one FL/PE2 thread and so on...

 

Pros: centralized repository for form checks (divided by exercise), easy comparison with other people, unique place to go for to browse for advices, saves the "hassle" of creating a new thread each time you need a check.

 

Cons: Topics become bigger with time.

 

Opinions?

MT Nordic

I've thought often this would be nice for topics related to each PE as well, not just form checks.  it would give some level of organization to the chaos.  Might also limit the multiple duplicative questions we are always receiving.

Cory Fair
MT Nordic said:

I've thought often this would be nice for topics related to each PE as well, not just form checks.  it would give some level of organization to the chaos.  Might also limit the multiple duplicative questions we are always receiving.

 

To some extent, perhaps. But few individuals read every post in a mega thread and it'll accumulate duplicate posts just as quickly after 2-3 pages. :)

emilianop

It's not about reading the whole post, it's about accumulating knowledge on a specific topic in a specific place, so that it becomes a reference point to go to after.

I agree almost no one read every post in a mega thread as a basis, unless they're really into that topic (starting on that progression and wanting to fully understand every nuance) or they followed since the beginning (because they're onto that already and want to see how others are doing), but it happened to me more than once to think, when I was about to start on a new drill, how "cool it would be if there was a thread like the massive one we have on ABH".

 

 

 

Kasper Stangerup

I think it is an excellent idea. Particularly since, in the course videos, the athletes have progressed far beyond that particular excercise. This means that their execution is probably more effortless than what can reasonably be achieved working on just that excercise. I think I saw Mike Mahler on Dragondoor say that a certain weight  (kettlebell) only begins to feel light once you progress to using a heavier model, even though you are fully capable of doing the required reps and sets. This is fully in line with my own experience.

wheezer
maolu said:

how "cool it would be if there was a thread like the massive one we have on ABH".

 

It would be cool to put it together. Who wants to sponsor me? :P

Iguanus

It would be wonderful, but hey, I guess that's what Tags were for.

 

I mean: if 3 people post form checks on a similar time, there will be a lot of overlap on response and it would be very chaotic. To make it neat, one would possibly "colapse" posts regarding that one, so that a user can choose what to look at. This colapsing just happens to be allowed by condensing them in blog posts. The sorting through some specific PE knowledge would be incredibly simples to look for "[Exercise chain] PE[n] [Form Check or Cues or Database]".

 

This would create the "massive thread" already broken down and more easily searchable. But I also guess that's just the same problem for every BIG DATA question

TANSTAAFL
Iguanus said:

It would be wonderful, but hey, I guess that's what Tags were for.

 

Big fan of tags, though ironically I don't use them on here. Perhaps if there was a way to assure all form checks were given a standardized PE/iM and 'Form Check' tag it would solve the issue. That is, if the tag search is optimally functioning.

Kara Beutel

I've thought a central thread for each PE/iM would be a fabulous idea, kind of like an FAQ thread for each, where the details could be ironed out without having to search the entire forum for any question related to it. A separate form check one would be nice too, and I like that it would allow comparison against others that have already been deemed good or not. Just my two cents :)

Sensei JP

I think a Wiki format could be pretty interesting.  Perhaps make it so only mods or coaches can modify the actual page, but anyone can participate in the discussion pages at the bottom.  This would allow for centralized discussion, so less multi-threads, and the most important or useful points could be added to the main wiki page for easy reference.

Murray Truelove

How about a locked thread where a mod could copypaste submissions to?

It's not like it would have to be immediate, it would probably only be a couple of videos a month, and only if the mod thinks it's an acceptable demonstration of mastery.

emilianop

 

It would be wonderful, but hey, I guess that's what Tags were for.

Tags are for sure better, I like metadata more than static aggregation, but that would be at user's discretion, as soon as someone forgets or doesn't want to tag their post, you're back to sparse soup of threads.

With a centralized place to go for, at least moderators can move floating posts inside that one.

 

IT would be -I guess- much better for them than having to move 100% of the posts by themselves every time...

 

 

How about a locked thread where a mod could copypaste submissions to?

I'd imagine that being almost as a full time job! :)

 

Murray Truelove
maolu said:

I'd imagine that being almost as a full time job! :)

Not sure about that. There aren't a lot of submissions let alone ones that demonstrate mastery.

Also, it wouldn't have to be 100%, mods keep an eye on the forums any way, if they see something that's good enough then copy paste.

Even just a few examples would be helpful as has been seen recently.

NameLikeNoOther

I agree with suggestions for PE/iM specific threads that are moderated. Common questions could be expertly answered by Coach/Mod and examples of Mastery videos. I find it challenging to wade through all the different forums to find what I am looking for. But I can make it work with what we got.

Iguanus

I see it =). Dumb user dilemas was the term on a company I worked for!

 

Anyway, it would be nice to have some compílations going on, as there was with ABH