This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Training through injury

Started by Tobias Akeblom, September 15, 2014 · 5 Replies · 151 Views

Tobias Akeblom

I have a suspected disc bulge on the left side of my L5. I have radiating pain down the outside of my left thigh when I put myself in certain positions. Luckily this is not affecting that many of the foundation excercises I am at for the moment. Luckily it is only the IM:s "hip circles" and "straddle running man" that I have to pass for now. 

 

What do you think I should do with the main excercises? Keep progressing and jump to the next level even if I cant do the IM:s, or stay put?

 

thanks in advance

ChrisUK

Stay put. Do not jump ahead to a more difficult progression just because you feel less pain when you have an injury. With foundation you never progression until an element and it's paired iM have both been completed. Ideally you should be laying off those exercises that are troubling you, and working back up to them at a lower level again. Sometimes you were just working above the level you should have been and you do not realize it. 

 

Also, most importantly get it checked out by a physiotherapist or a doctor, as you have suspected you have a disc bulge for a while this is even more important because the longer it is left undiagnosed the greater the chance you leave of injuring yourself more. Even if it turns out to not be a disc bulge, that means there is another undiagnosed problem that has been troubling you and which you may be unknowingly contributing to making it worse. 

 

Hope that helps clear up some confusion  :) ,

 

Chris.

Tobias Akeblom

Ok will do that!

 

Of course I am seeing a doctor with my problem. Will see an orthopedic doctor specilized in back injury soon.

TANSTAAFL

Ditto ChrisUK (also note the Coach 'like').

 

To add there are substitute progressions for certain exercises if you have a permanent injury/impairment. It's on a case by case basis.

Tobias Akeblom
TANSTAAFL said:
Ditto ChrisUK (also note the Coach 'like').

To add there are substitute progressions for certain exercises if you have a permanent injury/impairment. It's on a case by case basis.

 

 

Sounds interesting. Where do I find these? Or do I ask here on the forum when needed?

TANSTAAFL
Tobias Akeblom said:

Sounds interesting. Where do I find these? Or do I ask here on the forum when needed?

Yeah, new topic asking I think would work.